My PC is being bombarded by a particular virus called "No Close." It appears as a window that says an illegal operation has been performed and the program will be shut down. The puter does not shut down. It freezes the Net page, and when you try to close the window it kicks you off the Net back to your desktop.

I have experienced a number of attacks by this particular virus over a period of several months. Finally it shut down everything online and off; I couldn't even open Windows. I took my puter to the shop, got it cleaned up, and updated my Norton 2000 virus definitions (I don't install Norton 2004 because of reported incompatibility with Windows 98), and for about two weeks I was free of this bug and everything ran smoothly. Now this virus is back.

Is this a random attack? If so, why do I keep getting hit by this one virus? Is my system uniquely vulnerable to this virus? Or, is it a deliberate attack by an online enemy? If so, what is happening? Is this person firing this virus like a bullet at my PC? How can I defend against it?

Any advice/information will be much appreciated.