Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Internet Explorer

Windows Internet Explorer

HELP!!!
    I have encountered a problem with IE6, recently everytime I try to use it I get an Application Error, and it won't open. The error reads:

iexplore.exe - Application Error
    The instruction at "0x77f52605" referenced memory at "0x6f697469". The memory could not be "read".

I have tried reinstalling IE but everytime it still comes up with an error. I have also tried a system restore but it still comes up with the error as well.

Any help would be great. Thanks...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Thread moved to Operating Systems.

Bad memory or hard drive error perhaps. Have you done a scandisk (thorough)? Defrag? What OS is it?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yes. I ran Scandisk & Defrag, I also ran a System Mechanic utility, Adaware, and reinstalled ZoneAlarm.

It's running Windows XP Pro.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Delete the cache by hand?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I deleted everything. All of the Temp files, all of the history files. I even removed the folders so it would do a clean install after removing it in regedit.

Regal Making Handler
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=ie600
    Have a read through the above you may find an answere there.

How did you uninstall explorer by the way? Did you use the methods to repare shown below as it isn't possible to uninstall explorer within xp.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;318378
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

This is a bit of a long shot, but it is possible that it is a hard disk error.

One of my friends had the same sort of symptoms, except in his case it was OE that was issuing a similar message (memory location / instruction address was different of course).

Checked out his RAM using a hardware soaktest, did a full 'scandisk', checked for viruses etc., and in the end I gave up, re formatted, and then re installed WinXP.

All was OK for a week, when it failed again with the same symptoms

The next time I tried booting the recovery console from the WinXP CD, and running chkdsk /r, which believe it or not came back with an 'unrecoverable hardware error'.
    Odd, because I thought that running the check disk (i.e. 'scandisk') function from WinXP did the same thing ??

A coincidence perhaps, but as it was still under warranty, they did end up confirming that one of HDs was faulty and replaced it.
    As an aside, I was astonished at the response when I phoned up the small company he had purchased it from. When I explained the nature of the problem to someone who understood what I was saying, their response was to dispatch a courier to collect it later that day.
    And he got the repaired PC back 2 days later ...

Don't get customer service like that much nowadays

I hadn't really explored an HD error yet, The computer is just a year old, but I will certainly look into it. Thanks for the info.

How did you get around reinstalling XP and having to submit for registration???

If I wipe the drive then do a clean install, when it tries to register XP it will come back with an error, or is this something that they anticipate so reinstalling won't cause any problems?

Originally posted here by cerebus21
    I hadn't really explored an HD error yet, The computer is just a year old, but I will certainly look into it. Thanks for the info.

How did you get around reinstalling XP and having to submit for registration???

If I wipe the drive then do a clean install, when it tries to register XP it will come back with an error, or is this something that they anticipate so reinstalling won't cause any problems?
    I didn't have any problem at all in activating WinXP, which I presume is what you are getting at. After all the XP licence that you have is still valid, as you have a unique product key.

Two possibilities here:

(1) If your H/W configuration is 'more or less the same' as when it was originally activated, then the online activation will work.
    (2) If the H/W configuration is 'different', then you will get a warning saying that you have 3 days to phone up MS, and get an activation code (assuming you have SP1).

The way this works is that each device i.e.

Display Adapter
    SCSI Adapter
    IDE Adapter (effectively the motherboard)
    Network Adapter (NIC) and its MAC Address
    RAM Amount
    Processor Type
    Processor Serial Number
    Hard Drive Device
    Hard Drive Volume Serial Number (VSN)
    CD-ROM / CD-RW / DVD-ROM

is checked, and if too much has changed, then you are in situation (2).

In practice, if you just change/add a HD, or just add more RAM then this is situation (1).

One other thing to try if you haven't done so already is to remove and replace the memory stick(s). Try different slots if possible, and if you can borrow a stick that works on another PC, see what happens then.