Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router

Router

Pls give me a clear definition of what a router is. What's the purpose of a router? What does it do to a network?

http://www.warriorsofthe.net/

Go there, download the movie, and sit back for some fun. It is a tutorial lesson/guide on how basic TCP/IP works in conjunction with firewalls, routers, and sniffers. Based in a 3d world and using humorus electronic devices, the definition you want is right within that video.

So I'll hold off giving the definition here so you can watch the video, and learn even more about TCP/IP than just routers

A router is used to determine the next network point to which a data packet should be forwarded.

A router is connected to at least 2 networks (for a home setup this would be your LAN and your ISP network. For a business this would be two different subnets)

/edit looks like ya beat me to it. lol
    =

i'll try to watch the movie... thanks

Router - A device that determines the next network point to which a data packet should be forwarded enroute toward its destination. The router is connected to at least two networks and determines which way to send each data packet based on its current understanding of the state of the networks it is connected to. Routers create or maintain a table of the available routes and use this information to determine the best route for a given data packet.

http://www.stallion.com/html/support/glossary.html
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

cheyenne said that
    A router is connected to at least 2 networks (for a home setup this would be your LAN and your ISP network. For a business this would be two different subnets)
    For home setup?? You mean to say that i can connect on the internet and a LAN using a router at the same time?

I can not recommend enough how important it is to just set everything aside long enough to watch that movie. What is needed here is merely a good visual representation of how a router interacts with your LAN. Lengthy word definitions only get confusing because large words tend to be used, leaving us questioning the definition and words within, instead of focusing on the origonal question.

i want to download the movie but the thing is i have very slow connection. I am only using a dial up 56K modem... but I'll try downloading it anyway

Hey Hey,

Most home routers are a combination of router/switch. You plug your internet connection into the WAN port (this isn't going to work with dial-up) and then your computers into the switch portion and you have access to the internet, but also the other computers connected to the switch, so yes you have acecss to both the WAN and the LAN.

You have to remember you are getting a very basic description of routers. You should also check out www.routergod.com it's an amazing resource. You'll be able to learn how a router works and more of it's functions. You can use a router in a number of places. just always keep in mind that there is a difference between a home router (linksys, dlink) and a real router (cisco, nortel). They are essentially the same but at the same time different.

Peace,
    HT

I do suggest that you download that movie.

That the same video we watched in my networking cocepts class. Its a very informative video, and gives you a more of an idea of how routeres, and switches work. Maybe download it just before you go to sleep then when you wake up in the morning you'll have it.
    =