Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Windows

You know, it's so nice to stop by the site and find such polite discourse on such a relevant topic that has never been discussed before.

Can you smell the sarcasm from your chair?

Good.

Developer Extraordinar
    Did I force you to click the button to open this thread? No. Did I force you to read it? No. Did I force you to post? No. Are you making an idiot of yourself by interupting perfectly good conversation? Yes.

This isn't an OS vs. OS thread, which you may have noticed if you read the posts, perhaps next time, instead of posting an unneeded one or two liner for no good reason, you will take time to read the posts, and post a better comment.

Peace

MB

No, you didn't force me to respond. I did because I felt I had a few couple points.

1. This is a os vs. os thread, whether you intended it to be or not. You mentioned two os's in your first thread, and the title was an os itself. Just because you stated that you used and liked both did not mean you weren't comparing the two anyway.

2. Yes, I understand that all you were saying is that all the people basing one without looking unbiasly at the situation are irritating you. Fine. But you are still rehashing old stuff (thus the disclaimer concerning the cross-posting), and I am just as upset at seeing the same thing over and over as you are seeing people unfairly basing windows over and over. I guess you feel you have the right to say such and others don't.

Also, nice touch concerning my penis. When did you become so interested? Is this high school?

Maybe you could step back and take a minute or two to find out why you felt the need to take the conversation down several levels...maybe it is because there is some truth to my post....

You are both correct. This is posted about too much. However, peopel are still bashing OSes without knowing how to use them. An endless cycle, but sooner or later the ones bashing will catch on and learn, rather than constantly bicker and whine.

No need for name calling or penis discussions, so let's end it here. The point was taken and gotten across, on both sides. We want people to give each OS an equal chance and actually ask questions instead of complain, and others want to stop hearing us complain about the bashers.

So let's drop it, for the sake of sanity and happiness on the, please?

PST, didn`t my post refer to AIX and a fault that occured due to a coding error in the IP Stack? yes I believe it did....in my effort to stress that there are errors in OS's due to coding and that people get annoyed when these things occur. Hence why when the aforementioned AIX error happened we spoke to IBM, and they released a patch to fix it.

So, in fact I was just adding another reason why folks complain about OS's..

And you really need to hold back on the preaching, it comes across as rather misguided and based around the sole point of telling us how an OS is only as good as the guy who admins it, which for those of us who do this every day in our jobs our only far to aware off.

And to Microburn, sorry to warp your thread, I just am growing a little tired or pro windows, pro linux, pro BSD comments (true, I may make the odd one, but anyway).
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Ron1n, if it doesn't work, ask for help. Simple enough, so stop complaining.

see there you ago again, not reading. My post was on the fact that problems occur in the code and that the piss people off, so they complain, the same way you complain when there is a fly in your soup, or when your hotel room sucks, or your burger is burnt, and that this needs to be kept in mind, folks complain about windows because they use it often, and when it breaks many times it is indeed their fault, but sometimes it is not, and sometimes Solaris breaks and the same reasons apply, and so on and so on. Add in the Windows is such a nice easy target, and you get lots of posts on why people think it sucks, but you know what who really cares? If you are happy in the knowledge that your OS works then be happy with that, the folks down who do this stuff everyday know this, see this, work with this, and your constant criticisms of Admins, many of whom I`m sure far eclipse you in a)knowledge and b) experience, is rather annoying, yes some admins screw it up, but many of them do not, and many of them work long days and then come home and read up on stuff that you probably get to work on when you are not in class.

Do you see this? do you understand this? Or do you just wish to go back to your same old point? As I am not complaining at all...damn dude, you are rather exhausting to chat with....do you have any other points to make? or will you continue to state the obvious? (such as if you need help ask for it).

You know what, whatever your next (inevitable) post proclaims is fine and correct, because you really do not seem to get it. So no more replies from me, and feel happy in your next post.

Developer Extraordinar
    This is not an OS vs. OS thread, I am not comparing any two OS', I am saying, I am sick of the Microsoft bashing, because it is everywheres, when in fact, they do not deserve it, they work hard on their products, and their products are good, if you take the care to acctually figure them out, and secure them, etc, as you should do with anything. How about we focus on this for the point of the thread now, instead of the later of the posts.

Peace

MB

ok, back to the thread topic, and in no way MS bashing.

Yes they produce a decent product, and yes it works fine.

BUT (always a but) are you sure they release patches to make you safe? or to protect themselves from bad publicity? Does redhat do this? do Sun do this? I fear they all are in some way motivated by the fact that they want to continue to turn a profit, so thats partially why we get patches, economics in action, if MS (redhat, or sun) could get away without releasing security pacthes then would they?

David Aucsmith, who is MS security architect this week spoke at the E-Crime congress in london and said that Windows 95 came with no security features are, and 1995 wasn`t a hacker/virus free year so why wasn`t it on their minds then?. So, one possible train of thought to follow from this is that security is now in there because thats what users want, and thats what sells.

Now, the Linux community used to be able to use this as a bashing point because Linux was free, so therefore the community was fixing patches to fix them, however, this may no longer be the case as you have to pay for some of the Distros now, so economics is once more relevant.

And yes, bashing Windows because it is somehow perceived as the cool thing to do really doesn`t help anyone.

....so sick of this topic.
    Both OS's have issues. I dont like either, but dont have the time or knowledge to write my own...so I deal.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.