Thread: internet problems on mandrake 9.2...

internet problems on mandrake 9.2...

Hi, first post
    Hope i posted this in the right section, sorry if i didnt.

I have just installed my first linux os (mandrake) on my laptop and everything works ok except my internet/network. I have a 2 computer network with a linksys router on my desktop and a notebook adapter on my laptop. Now, when i try to access the internet it just says 'unknown host'. Where do i enter the channel of the router and stuff?

If thats not enough info then let me know...
    lol and sorry if that doesnt really make sense or its a really dumb question, im VERY new to linux...

Developer Extraordinar
    Try going into the mcc (Mandrake Control Center) it should be in the KMenu, if not, open a shell and type mcc, there should be a place about networking and internet. You be able to find you where, as it is fairly well documented.

Peace

MB

i know about the control panel & stuff...but i cant find the wireless networking settings..could it be that it is not detecting my hardware? and if so how can i fix this?

Since you asked where to enter the channel, I am going to assume that your laptop is trying to connect wirelessly. It might help to know your wireless adapter and if it's listed as supported on the mandrake website.
    Lots of times, unknown hosts errors means that your /etc/resolv.conf is not set up properly; it needs to have the dns servers of your isp in there.

my wireless adapter is a linksys WPC54G if thats any help...

Good news, yes it does help....
    Bad news, nobody has got that thing going with a linux-native driver that I have heard of.

I have heard of several people getting it going with linuxant. Basically, they sell a wrapper which allows you to use the windows drivers in linux. I don't know if it will work for you (or how well) but there is a 30 day trial and the complete license only costs 20 bucks.

I think it can be found here:

http://linuxant.com/driverloader/

good luck

so is that the only way to get it going?
    if so then ill give it a try!
    thanks for your help.

ok, i just need to know one more thing before i go & do this:
    is the mac address of my WPC54G also called the 'physical address' when i do ipconfig/all?

thanks,

im not having much luck with the linuxant thing, i still get the error after i have configured it thru their web based config...is there anything else i need to do after i have configured the software with: the ssid of the network, the mac address of my wireless adapter and all the other settings i need...