Thread: Assigning DNS servers.

Assigning DNS servers.

Just had a quick question here.

I'm tired of assigning IP's everytime we get new computers in, so I'm gonna have our windows server 2003 start assigning IP's, However for the computers to get on the net, they need to have the ISP's DNS servers assigned to them. I tried google but didn't really come up with anything.

So i was hoping if anyone here might know how I could have a DHCP server assign the DNS servers as well?
    =

If the DHCP server accquires its DNS automagically from your ISP then it should pass this to any clients which are configured to recieve DNS information from the DHCP server.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

I have to assign the DNS automatically to the server though. I guess what I could do though is plug the satelite straight into the server, then plug the switch into the server then that way the server would get its DNS server automatically. I guess that would work wouldn't it?

Heres our setup.

Satelite gateway---->switch-->servers and clients
    =

You could also set up some sort of gateway machine or proxy and that all the clients go through to get internet access. This might be a little easier since you can assign the computers on the LAN internal IP addresses and then the gateway only deals with one external IP address. Is the server a Win2k3 DNS server?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

The W2K3 machine is not a DNS server Its only a file server.
    =

AO French Antique News Whore
    If memory serve me right, when a DCHP server give away a IP address, it also update the DNS of the client by the same DNS of the server. In a DCHP environnement, if your DCHP server use 192.168.1.0 for DNS server, all client getting IP by DCHP will have 192.168.1.0 for DNS server.

All my client DNS change when I change my DCHP server DNS.

Edit : I'm using WinNT 4.0 for a DCHP server. Another server is running the WINS Service.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

ok, I'll try it and see if my clients are assigned the DNS server automatically.
    =

yeah, give it a try, as far as I know the DHCP can be set to hand out whatever DNS the server is using... Its been a while since I looked at one though, and the ones we learned on were 2000....
    Are you on a static or dynamic IP?
    If your on static you could always start your own DNS, and that solves THAT problem... but for dynamics... Im PRETTY certain the DHCP server hands out the DNS as well...
    if not can you specify the host name of the DNS server?
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.