Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: School Suspension for Network Trouble

Hi Sephir0th,

Welcome to AO, although the circumstances may not be described as "auspicious"

Pooh has given you some sound advice......don't mess around, it is like playing with fire?

I once came across this when a guy in Admin (I was head of Development) was doing an operators command language programming course.......as part of the course he had to send a "shutdown in 15 minutes" message to all the branches (in this fictitious environment), the problem was that we actually had branches...........................oops!

We had the sales Director storming round......"what the £$%%^&* is going on"?

My boss was an OK guy but a bit weak, so I stepped in and said:

"How many branches reported to you, and when...I have Bristol because they rang me directly, your line was engaged (that bit was true).........by the way, what good is a fire drill if you have a warning?"

That sent him off with his tail between his legs

The only other time was when it was fairly late in the evening, and I was quietly winding the Group Financial Accountant up by sending him horrific system error messages...........then the EVP Finance, who was sitting next to me, burst out laughing and blew it all....and I am sure that I could have played Ian for another 10 minutes or so

My message is that back in the early 1980's you could do those sorts of thing, and get away with it..............now there are so many bad guys around you have to be very careful, even though you guys today have the same sense of humour that we had then?

It isn't right, but it is reality?

Stay safe

The admin may not have disabled the command line because the CCNA students may be using it for telneting into the routers.

I know that they can use other programs like Hyperterminal and ProComm+ and so on, but it dosent seem like the admin is smart enough to pick that up :-) Maybye the admin was leaving it open because he thought they needed it for the CCNA class?

Or maybe he dosent know how to disable it :-) Or another real world senario, maybe he is understaffed and overworked and dosent have time to do it...lol

Or how about he wanted to make the kids look bad and make himself look better for a raise....hehe a Social Engineering attack on his bosses :-)

The possibilities and endless!!!
    \"Common Sense, isn\'t that common\"
    \"It is a lot easier to raise a child then it is to repair an adult\"
    -Kruptos

CXGJarrod wouldn't be much of a ccna class without access to telnet.

and it wouldn't be much of a school either if everyone thought they could mass net send anything to everyone and you did send it to everyone
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Ammo,

Why not have them all on a single subnet ? I think around 250 is fine on switched 100mbps network for this sort of thing.

Second I have a 138.1-255 and 136.1-255 subnets and it does cross the boundaries through the router.

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    CXGJarrod wouldn't be much of a ccna class without access to telnet.

and it wouldn't be much of a school either if everyone thought they could mass net send anything to everyone and you did send it to everyone
    I only mentioned it because you can assign group policy to groups of people. So you could create a CCNA class and allow them access to the command line, but deny it for everyone else. (Or only allow the command line for certain parts of the day - ie during class) He probably is not the only one who has sent a net send to everyone.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

My school is under construction so they moved the CCNA class to the internet lab. (a place where people can just go and sit down and use a computer.) They should have been less priveleged machines b/c the CCNA people use HyperTerm for all COM port stuff. I think its a pretty sketchy topology/ security policy if a simple command that should have been disabled went to over 150 comps and made them temp. "useless".
    "I should have known better" is right... i just gave the silly admin the doubt and figured it would stay pretty local. I learned my lesson im not gonna be doing anything that could get me into trouble with comps. At least getting caught doing anything.
    Red Bank New Jersey REPRESENT!!
    -Sephir0th

bottom line - the computer wasn't yours...the network didn't belong to you either...you did something you kow you shouldn't have because it is disallowed by those who own (or have as in this case have been put in charge of the network by the owner) so whatever punishment they wish to give out is up to them

You want to mess around do it at home on your own PC that way you ahve nothing to worry about.

v_Ln

Hah!

Now I see.......they "cut corners" and put you in a "senior/unrestricted" lab whilst the mods to the school go on?

That would explain why it happened..............It would not have done in your normal environment?

What age are you in twelfth grade?...I am in England, and do not understand your terms

"Red Bank New Jersey"........who/what are they?

Hey, please remember that AO is an INTERNATIONAL forum

Good Luck

i think that the dean was a little harsh in his first ruling. the second was better, but you should have explained to him that it was an accident.

Originally posted here by Sephir0th
    "I should have known better" is right... i just gave the silly admin the doubt and figured it would stay pretty local.
    Yeah, they got nothing better to do. 12th grade?? GROW UP!
    Red Bank New Jersey REPRESENT!!

AGAIN: GROW UP
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.