Thread: Regedit

Regedit

Hi. Been reading a few tutorials and many oif them mention the 'regedit' being the backbone of windows. As I doint really know much about this could someone enlighten my on what it does, what I can do with it and maybe a link to a tutorial on it? Is it possible to identify deleted files through it?

Sco

What is the Registry?
    The Registry is pretty much a database that is used to store settings and options for the 32 bit versions of Microsoft Windows including Windows 95, 98, ME and NT/2000. It contains information and settings for all the hardware, software, users, and preferences of the Computer. Whenever a user makes changes to a Control Panel setting, or File Associations, System Policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in the Registry.

Hope that answers your question

Regedit is a program that comes with windows that allows access to, like they said, one of the most important key components of Windows accessibility and customizing, the registry. Regedit is a fairly easy and fairly straight-forward program that simply lets you see all of the registry entries that other programs have made into your computer, as well as lots of other things that are automatically put in and/or come with Windows by default. For more information pertaining to RegEdit, check out http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...00060422485506 . Hope this helps mate.

Banned
    Actually regedit, is the command you type in the "Run" box when you want to "Edit the Registry".

What is the Registry?
    The Registry is a database used to store settings and options for the 32 bit versions of Microsoft Windows including Windows 95, 98, ME and NT/2000. It contains information and settings for all the hardware, software, users, and preferences of the PC. Whenever a user makes changes to a Control Panel settings, or File Associations, System Policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in the Registry.

The physical files that make up the registry are stored differently depending on your version of Windows; under Windows 95 & 98 it is contained in two hidden files in your Windows directory, called USER.DAT and SYSTEM.DAT, for Windows Me there is an additional CLASSES.DAT file, while under Windows NT/2000 the files are contained seperately in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Config directory. You can not edit these files directly, you must use a tool commonly known as a "Registry Editor" to make any changes (using registry editors will be discussed later in the article).
    The Structure of the registry, Editing the registry and other things are here: http://www.winguides.com/article.php...guide=registry

Errrrrrr

1. Don't mess with it until you understand it
    2. Yes you can identify some deleted files through it.....if they were "registered" or that can be implied from other entries.

What can you do with it...................if you do not comply with #1 above, make your system totally inoperable

Be careful!

know about the Windows Registry Editor

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...00060422485506

Windows Registry is a good place to experiment with your computer and know how your software works and remembers your settings and configurations. I generally hear people saying don't mess up with your systems registry. But there is no harm if you are little bit carefull with it. Just backup your registry before you commit any changes. You can restore it when you are done.

You can learn more about registry by loading the policy editor found in windows resorce kit available with the Windows CD. You can see the changes made to your registry in background by the policy editor.

Windows registry is a must to learn if you are doing serious programming with Windows.

Never be affraid to experiment with your computer just maintain a good backup prior to the game.

thanks for the responses guys

Sco

registry

hi ,

go thru this file ya