Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant Use an improtant folder!!!!!

Cant Use an improtant folder!!!!!

ok i reformated my C: drive and i saved a folder on my D: and i cant access the the pics and music and all my important stuff. I am the admin of my computer and it says i may not have the appropriate permissions to access them. (pics Bellow) the folder is about 6 gigs and everything inside is showing the same error when i double click it.and it shows the second error when i try to copy the file to somewhere else PLZZZ HELP!!!. has anyone else have had this problem. this folder is very important to me and i need major help!!!!

Ignore the name of the exe (Cheating Death)<for a game i have

Signature image is too wide!
    Signature image is too tall!

Hmmmm. Not exactly sure. I have Formated my C Drive many times and can still access my D Drive. . . which is also where I keep 90% of my important files and whatnot. Anyone else know?
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

AntiOnline n00b
    What was your previous OS? was it WinNT... . and was the drive C: or D: NTFS ? i had this problem in WinNT, it gave me the same error. i had to take ownership of the files and folders before it would let me access the previously stored files and folders

my OS is windows xp porfesssional and both drives are NTFS. Did u ever fix the problem?

AntiOnline n00b
    yes NTFS thats the problem
    take ownership of the files
    • Right click the file
    • Select the security Tab
    • Select Advanced
    • Select Owner
    • Find the User or group you wish to give ownership to and select
    • Click apply

don't forget to log in as Administrator or with Admin rights because only Administrator can take ownership of any file

hope this helps

--Good Luck--

how do u hit the security tab?

AntiOnline n00b
    what ?? do you mean click on the security tab if one messare appears click ok

ok i see sharing and security is that it?

AntiOnline n00b
    I will explain the procedure again
    To take ownership of a folder:
    1. Right-click the folder you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
    3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    4. In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
    5. Click OK. The following message appears, where folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of:
    You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.

Click Yes.
    6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

lol there is no security tab. Do u have msn?

all i see is general, sharing, customize