Thread: found.000 folder

found.000 folder

I use win2000 .I have 2 partitions c,d. On C drive win2000 is installed.
    On my c: drive there is folder named "found.000" . I don't know how it was created.
    I am not able to access that folder. . I want to delete it. When I try to delete it get message "Access denied". Any solution for this problem.

AntiOnline n00b
    hi ,

Shutdown your computer properly or don't let the CheckDisk run(i wouldn't advice this) you wouldn't see this folder again . Checkdisk puts all the messed up files here, they generally are .CHK (CHECK files or Recovered File Fragments).

I am not able to access that folder
    hmmm. there might be few things causing this. lets deal with them one by one

1. Do you have necessary permissions to delete Files and Folders on this Computer. are you a member of Administrative Group? you need a minium of modify to delete files

2. Take Ownership of the files (NTFS File System)

• Right click the file
    • Select the security Tab
    • Select properties
    • Select Advanced
    • Select Owner
    • Find the User or group you wish to give ownership to and select
    • Click apply

now try deleting the Folder

3. If your hard drive is formatted with FAT32 you can boot with a Windows/DOS boot disk and Delete the file from DOS.If you hard drive is formatted with NTFS you can boot with a Win/DOS boot disk and, get a copy of NTFSDOS Pro. You can boot to DOS mount the NTFS volumes and delete the folder from there.

Still Have Problems deleting..... let us know

--Good Luck--

Chapter 31: Troubleshooting Tools and Strategies (continued)

Correcting Problems by Using Chkdsk

Chkdsk cannot correct found errors when there are open files on the volume because Chkdsk cannot lock the volume. In this case, Chkdsk offers to check the volume automatically the next time the computer is started. This is typical behavior for the boot volume. When the boot volume is checked, the computer is automatically restarted after the volume check is completed.

Because some repairs, such as correcting lost clusters (also knows as allocation units) or cross-linked files, change a volume's file allocation table and can cause data loss, Chkdsk first prompts you with a confirmation message similar to the following:

10 lost allocation units found in 3 chains.
    Convert lost chains to files?

If you press N, Windows 2000 fixes the errors on the volume but does not save the contents of the lost clusters. If you press Y, Windows 2000 attempts to identify the folder to which they belong. If the folder is identified, the lost cluster chains are saved there as files. If the folder cannot be identified or if the folder does not exist, it saves each chain of lost clusters in a folder called Found.xxx, where xxx is a sequential number starting with 000. If no folder Found.000 exists, one is created at the root. If one or more sequential folders called Found.xxx (starting at 000) exists, one using the next number in the sequence is created.

After the storage folder has been identified or created, one or more files with a name in the format Filennnn.chk (the first saved file is named File0000.chk, the second is named File0001.chk, and so on in sequence) are saved. When Chkdsk finishes, you can examine the contents of these files with a text editor to see whether they contain any needed data (if the converted chains came from corrupted binary files, they are of no value). You can delete the CHK files after you have saved any useful data.

NOTE
    Be careful to delete only files using the file name extension CHK from the Found.xxx folders. Other programs might create and use files with that extension.
    Hope that helps to answer a part of your question ...

As for getting rid of the file follow SwordFish's advise.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

thanks SwordFish i deleted the folder by booting the system through a dos bootable.