Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: is win 98 applicable for a server?

I used to use a Win98SE Box as a file/print server. I never had a problem with it. Granted, built in security is low, but I overcame the limitations through a good firewall and special router configurations on my end.

My network is a little odd though.

DSL ----- Router --------- Wireless Router ------- My Computers
    |
    |
    Neighbor's Computers

The only real weakness is the wireless router, but I use MAC filtering, change the WEP key often, and don't use wireless unless I have to.

The only reason I ditched the 98SE box as a file server was that my GF needed a computer for school, and I didn't have time to teach her Linux. It was a good system, and a good server.

OMG!!! I just defended a MS product. The universe must be crumbling. LOL

EDIT: Neighbor's computers should be under first router.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

I would assume that you have a slower and or older machine running Win98 on it. Why not use something like Mandrake Linux or something (runs great on older machines...i got it on a pentium 400mhz). It comes with a load of useful utilities for services and during the installation you can specify what type of server it would be.

Two reasons why:

1. This thread is about making 98 work as a server

2. Because 98 can do exactally what mandrake can do, you just have to know how.

Originally posted here by MURACU
    Actually I belive I do know what I am talking about. I have used windows 98 in almost every possiable server function. From a printer server to a database server. I have done the same thing with every windows operating system from 311 to windows 2003.
    Maybe you should read my post and not just get stuck on the last line. Ron1n has already qouted so I wont wast our time with a reqoute. As you already noted you and your friend configured 98 as a web server but it wasnt easy.
    As far as I'm concerned, if you can't make it run, it's a user error.

Ebay.com runs on Windows NT and Windows 98...I have never seen that site lag....Maybe some people really do just know what the hell they are doing?

And where did I say it was hard for me and my best friend?

And as for a "Server" OS....Define server....I think you meant NOS, in which case Windows does fine.

A server is mearly a powerful computer Not an OS

A "Server" OS is whatever OS you put a machine to serve clients.

Win98 (or 98SE) can work well in some cases as a server. It does contain everything you would need to set up a good file storage server, and low demand apps. We have serveral of them running here, acting as storage servers. When you have older hardware that will not handle the heavy demands of Win2000, and/or you dont wish to run NT 4.0, 98SE can fill the nich nicely, as long as you dont really want it to be terribly secure. ME and 95 will also work, but both are terrible insecure. ME is just plain terrible period.
    File sharing and locking is available under 98, as well as 95, ME, as well as the NT based systems. There is no real reason 98 can not be a file server. Or a Applcation Server (depending on the App of course) or Web or FTP server. THere ARE better solutions, but if it is what you have to work with, it will get the job done.
    ~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!

My Server was a 1.1 Ghz AMD box with 512 RAM. It wasn't the crap factory it sounds like.

Right now, the file/print server is running FreeBSD 4.9, and will soon be upgraded to either SuSE 9 or Slackware 9.

I personally like 98SE. Assuming that system resources are adequate, it will run most software, and it doesn't have the activation bullsh*t of newer versions of Windows.

I agree with Gore, Although I doubt that you will find Windows 98 servers safeguarding the secrets of the NSA, the OS performs fine in day to day network environments, on both the client side and the server side. As has been said many times here at AO, it all depends on the administrator. The skill and knowledge of the Administrator will decide the final security and capabilities of the OS, be it Linux, Unix, or Windows (or BSD).

EDIT: I also agree with MrCoffee, ME sucks ass. I don't think even the best admin can make it anything more than a half-assed mix of 98SE and a dirty diaper.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

"EDIT: I also agree with MrCoffee, ME sucks ass. I don't think even the best admin can make it anything more than a half-assed mix of 98SE and a dirty diaper."

ROFL, You've got my vote for quote of the day!