Thread: I want to write my own OS

I want to write my own OS

For a project in my spare time i want to write an OperatingSYstem from scratch. After doing some research I realize this requires alot of programming experience in Assembly. (to make the bootloader, etc.)
    So now Im thinking I could just write my own Linux distrobution. Can anyone give me some pointers.
    I know I have to find the sorce code for the kernel then compile it... but how exactly do I begin coding the user interface? Can I use the linux file system for storage with my OS?

Try www.linuxfromscratch.org . Good luck!

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

Don't you dare let anything stop you. Try the Linux from scratch thing, and when you have done this well, start getting into assembler, and lay some blue prints for your OS. If you want I'll help you design it. After you feel you are ready, start out with something similar to DOS. DOS is about as easy as you can go.

DOS is very simple, and making a clone shouldn't be to bad.

Also, avoid Micro Kernels like Richard Stallman avoids Windows....Or ANY non free software for that matter. Micro Kernels are nothing but a pain in that ass and RARELY worth the time it takes to create one. If you want any more info on why not to use Micro Kernels, just reply and I'll be glad to share my opinion.

Also, if you want me to help you design it; Reply, and I'll start up something after you give more detail on what you want the OS to do....Besides boot up.

Rememer, Linux started as a news reader for Linus, because he wanted to download binary files from usenet.

I have no idea how much skill you have in coding, but yes, writing an OS, is one of the hardest things you can code. Also, I have started designing one, I have it on here somewhere in a thread, and I'm planning on adding to it tonight

Reply with more info and I'll see how I can help. I can't code but I sure as hell no my **** in OSs.

Oh, do you have any plans on maybe making your own text editors and compilers for this OS? Or just porting GNU and Vi to it?

Also, avoid Micro Kernels like Richard Stallman avoids Windows....Or ANY non free software for that matter. Micro Kernels are nothing but a pain in that ass and RARELY worth the time it takes to create one. If you want any more info on why not to use Micro Kernels, just reply and I'll be glad to share my opinion.
    I'd like to here more about your opinion on microkernels.
    I know distributed oses (with a microkernel) like Amoeba, Chorus, Mach,... but I have never heard of these being used outside a test environment.
    It all sounds a bit too complex to work well.
    Unix emulation on top of a complicated distributed os :s
    /me thinks that doesn't work extremely well.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Hey, sorry it's taking so long to reply. I'm working on my OSs design again. I'm going to start up a new thread here in a bit when I get more done. I'm going through the entire design and re doing a lot of it as I have learned a lot since I wrote it out.

It will be in the OS forum where it belongs, and I REALLY want everyone to look it over and point out any errors.

The kitchen appliance idea is gone, as I have had great feed back on why that is bad, and I changed my mind about it