Thread: network connection not working

network connection not working

Heres the problem I have a linksys wireless router with a hard connection to my main box that has xp. Then I have a toshiba lap top w/win2000 and a lynsys wireless nic. My connection to the web is fine from both boxs but when i look for the other machine on my home network there is no other machines shown.

I've disabled my firewall and I am at a loss any help????

Describe how you're going about "looking" for the other computers. I'm on a laptop right now, which is connected to my wireless router that is also hard-connected to XP PC, and I can find my computers fine... just, describe how you're going about doing it, and we'll/I'll tell you how you *should* be doing it.

I've gone in to the network neaborhood on both machines and see nothing but the machine that I am on. I've had the xp box do the network config and still nothing it says that having two machines hooked to a hub sharing a web connection is bad. But does not give the option of a router inside a dsl modem. On the laptop I tryed the disk you make with xp but that does not work with 2000. I went in to the network connections and that didn't help then I disabled all the protection to see if one of them is blocking the other no dice. I wan't going to put xp on the laptop but if that will help I'll do it this is going to be so that these machines can share files.

The last time I didn't mention (idiot) when I initially set up the wireless I had both machines in the network neaborhood. The next time I look for them nothing. Sorry I left that out I just can't figure out what has changed.

Thanks for any help or comments this is the first time I've set up a router by letting a disk do it for me. I've had some experence with cisco routers in school so I'm not without any knowledge. I also am wondering if anyone has any info on manual config and internal works this is my first attempt at setting up a network in my house. As I can get these systems to work together I have other machines i want to tie in. So I am sure I'll be back and ask other Q's then maybe a tutorial/testamonial to the troubles and help i got in set up here.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Few question

1) Can you surf the web from both computer?

2) Does both computer have IP Address provide by a DCHP server from the Wireless Router?

If both answer are true, then, you just want to make a workgroup between a 2000 and XP machine. You need to install XP Network Package that come as an addons on XP Cd on the 2000 Machine. If this doesn't work install Netbios and make sure you're on the same workgroup.
    -Simon \"SDK\"