Thread: what is telnet?

what is telnet?

hello frends,
    i am new to networks and security...i have to and am interested in travelling a long waywith help of you
    coming to the point.....i want to know completely about telnet and telnetting.what is telnet and what is it used for?
    thanx4all

AntiOnline n00b
    hi
    Telnet is a protocol for remote computing on the Internet. It allows a computer to act as a remote terminal on another machine, anywhere on the Internet. This means that when you telnet to a particular host and port, the remote computer (which must have a telnet server) accepts input directly from your computer (which must have a telnet client) and output for your session is directed to your screen. There are many library and information resources that are accessible through telnet.
    Google Web Definations
    hope it clears a few doubts

--TCP/IP by Douglas E. Comer-- IMHO this is the best def i got about TELNET

TCp/Ip protocol suit includes a simple remote terminal protocol called TELNET. it allows a user at one site to establish a TCp connection to login server at another. TELNET then passes keystrokes from the user's keyboard directly to the remote machine. TELNEt also carries output from the remote machine back to the user's screen. the service is called transparent because it gives the appearence that the user's keyboard and display are attached to the remote computer.

Usually TELNET client software allows the user to specify a remote machine either by giving it's domain name or IP address..

Telnet offers three basic services

[*] it defines a Network Virtual Terminal that provides a standard interface to remote system. Clients program do not have to ubderstand the details of all possible remote system; they are built to use the standard interface.

[*] it includes a mechanism that allows the client and server to negotiate options and it provide a set of standard options.

[*] Telnet treats both-ends of the connection symmetrically. in particular TELNET does not force clients input to come from a keyboard nor does it force the client display output on a screen.output on a screen. either ends can negotiate options.

[b]Check out the Telnet Commands[/b

Here is a link to some great tutorials.
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=251708
    If you want to learn start reading and if your not bored in 30 min. keep reading
    Mad Beaver

how can i telnet to a site?suppose that i want to telnet to www.antionline.com how can i do it?
    i am trying to telnet from my command prompt but there is an error named 'unresolved host'

Ok telnet is a service which enables you to login remotely on a system you have permission (or you dont really have but you want to!!! )...it connects to port 23...now for detailed description i would recommend googling...you shall be able to understand what a service is and how you login...i would recommend you to download putty-runs on every plattform just google it-so that you are able to see what telnet exactly is..play around with it...btw telnet is a bit 'out of date' due to security reasons...the same job can be done with ssh much safer...
    Is that the place where I am supposed to say sth clever and brilliant so that everybody understands how clever nice guy I am????
    Screw you guys I am going home!-Kartman

AntiOnline n00b
    here is list of free shell Accounts

syntax is like this, for example you want to connect to freeshell.org whic provides a free shell account ( AO dosen't )

press Start->Run then type the following. It will ask for user neme type "new".

telnet freeshell.org

after login type help it will list you all the possible command , what else explore..... yourself and learn.....there is no substute to doing it yourself.....so give it a try

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.