Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: learn about exploits

Another good thing you could do is focus on learning the basics of how firewalls/packets/IDS etc work, so you can get an idea of how to get around them. Same thing with systems. if you want to learn to attack something. Learn everything you can about it. Focus on using the common things. You don't need to memorize the entire man page for goodness sake, all you need are the juicy, useful options. You can glean those from tutorials and such often. On the other hand, it's often good to focus on exploiting the less used, more abscure, and thus less scrutinized aspects of systems. Focusing on the exact parts you wish to attack. This is most convenient on Linux and the like of course, as you can view the source.

That's only if breaking into stuff is your goal though. If you can settle for being deffensive then there's nothing wrong with just downloading the Sigs from Snort and Symantec, and the patches from the vendors, following basic security practices, and running stuff like nessus and nikto against your systems regularly. Reading stuff like Hacking Exposed is something you can do if you want to get a tad more advanced. If you want some great advice from the masters on how to do what your attempting here's some Great Info (look for 'stepping into a security career' question) the and the interesting Hacker How-To. It is really all good advice.

Ok thanks uppercell i will read these docs......also thanks for advice on what to keep in mind when securing my box...i am running suse for a couple of monhts ad still trying to learn the ropes......cheers
    Is that the place where I am supposed to say sth clever and brilliant so that everybody understands how clever nice guy I am????
    Screw you guys I am going home!-Kartman

Thumbs up learning resources

hey there, I, like you have been rtfming for a while. I have 2 books that I will recomend because they help you learn the "hows and whys" of the exploits. Granted, the info in these books can be used for evil, but if you read and put to practice the "security side" of these books, they can teach you a lot. I have read both books cover to cover and have learned alot. The first book, is "Hacking Exposed -- 4th edition" and the second is "The Anti-hacker Toolkit" Both very good books and worth the money and time spent to learn... I hope that helps.

--th3>KluTz
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.

...ehemmmm...do you know if i could find these books....for free?????Dont blame me but i cannot afford this kind of money....or could you maybe suggest some other (free) e-books? (on the particular topic pls of how exploits work because i have read so far many papers on hackin general)
    Thanks in advance
    (feel free to PM)
    Is that the place where I am supposed to say sth clever and brilliant so that everybody understands how clever nice guy I am????
    Screw you guys I am going home!-Kartman

Phrack rocks. Buffer overflows are the best exploits, in my opinion. You put 'em together yourself, rather than using random "1337" DoS and stuff other people put together.
    10 PRINT\"Home\"
    20 PRINT \"Sweet\"
    30 GOTO 10