Hey all,

So far ASM is very confusing!

I've been learning from the 16-bit DOS edition of Art of Assembly by Randall Hyde. I chose this edition since the other versions appeared to deal with some weird 'thingy' called high-level assembly (HLA). I'm slowly getting it even though I haven't been able to try anything out with MASM.. It doesn't want to assemble anything. I got MASM32 v8 from www.masm32.com. Anyone else have problems with it? I have a feeling it's only supposed to make Windows apps not DOS apps... Maybe I'll have to try TASM or NASM.

Anyone got some tips? Maybe some better sources/tutorials/books to learn from? Some other side topics I should brush up on in order to improve my understanding? The 16-bit version of AOA appears to be a little outdated but it seemed like the best choice since it is very easy to understand (at least compared to other tuts I found). The formatting was also pleasant not some crappy plain-text file.

Anyways, I'll try to stick with it. Sounds like after I get a grasp on the basics it won't seem so cryptic after that. Just gotta keep to it!

Thank you everyone,

mjk