Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning Assembly

Learning Assembly

Hey all,

So far ASM is very confusing!

I've been learning from the 16-bit DOS edition of Art of Assembly by Randall Hyde. I chose this edition since the other versions appeared to deal with some weird 'thingy' called high-level assembly (HLA). I'm slowly getting it even though I haven't been able to try anything out with MASM.. It doesn't want to assemble anything. I got MASM32 v8 from www.masm32.com. Anyone else have problems with it? I have a feeling it's only supposed to make Windows apps not DOS apps... Maybe I'll have to try TASM or NASM.

Anyone got some tips? Maybe some better sources/tutorials/books to learn from? Some other side topics I should brush up on in order to improve my understanding? The 16-bit version of AOA appears to be a little outdated but it seemed like the best choice since it is very easy to understand (at least compared to other tuts I found). The formatting was also pleasant not some crappy plain-text file.

Anyways, I'll try to stick with it. Sounds like after I get a grasp on the basics it won't seem so cryptic after that. Just gotta keep to it!

Thank you everyone,

mjk

BANNED
    These forums might help:
    http://forum.valhallalegends.com/php...ex.php?board=7
    All of the people who run this site know their stuff.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Wow muert0 that's a great site! Thanks

Hopefully that'll keep me occupied for a while.

Anyone else?

Thank you,

mjk

BANNED
    No problem and good luck with your quest for knowledge I'm just starting to learn C++, haven't gotten to far though still having compiler problems.

Dev C++ is a free favorite of mine muert0, check it out at download.com

BANNED
    It's for windows. I'm on linux. Once I get my laptop working I'll have windows up. Thanks for the suggestion though.

It's for windows. I'm on linux. Once I get my laptop working I'll have windows up. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Linux? g++ doesn't work? It always works for me... For example, if you have a file test.cpp just run: g++ test.cpp -o test

I think that should work then just run test.

Do you have any experience programming in ASM? If so, what assembler do you use?

Thanks for the replies so far

mjk

BANNED
    No I don't have any ASM exp.
    And when I try to run hello world! in g++ I get a whole list of errors. I think I just need to update to the new version and make sure all the libraries are installed, but I work so much hard to find time to do it.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Muert0, what errors are you getting. g++ shouldn't give you any problems.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

My assembly thread has been taken over by C++!!!!!

C++ = evil

mjk