Thread: Thread Movement Notifications?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Thread Movement Notifications?

An idear. Throughout the day many of the moderators move threads around so that they are in the appropriate (or more appropriate) forums. Usually -- at least when I do it -- I send a PM to the member (those with 99 posts or less) who started the thread notifying them of where the post is.

For consideration as I'm not sure how tricky this would be: if a thread is moved by a moderator, the thread started receives a PM notifying of where it went to along with a "standard" note. Something like:

This is to notify you that your thread has been moved. Please keep in mind that security forums are for security oriented threads. There are other forums for non-security related discussion such as Operating Systems, Hardware and General Chit Chat. You can find your thread here <insert thread location>.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the moderator who moved your thread (<insert moderator name here&gt.

Thank you and have a good day.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I think this is a great idea. Would there ever be a reason you wouldn't want to send this PM notification? What I'm really asking is: should I add an option to send a PM or not in the thread move page, or should a PM be automatically sent every time a thread is moved?

- h
    I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Let's put it this way: my fingers are getting tired of typing out 20-30 PM to users saying "Your thread has been moved to..". I'm dreaming this one..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    Great idea MsMittens, and it should be automatic.