Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: some questions on creating a site

I forgot sth:where should i go in order to get my domain name and what is exactly the situation? I know i will have to pay...shall i report also the ip of the server for the 'DNS' thing? Hope you understand me sorry i cannot express very well....thanks again to all of you....BYeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Is that the place where I am supposed to say sth clever and brilliant so that everybody understands how clever nice guy I am????
    Screw you guys I am going home!-Kartman

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    will i have to create a database anyway, or the search program will do everything for me?...

Well, you don't have to have a database at all. But by not having a database, you may have to write each pages notes into the html by hand, and reload them on the server. I used to do this myself when I started web design. Its come so far now that I find it easier to just store everything in a databse. Especially when user input is concerned. All the users input has to be stored somewhere. You could have a script that takes the user entered info and stores it in a text file of some sort, but that is kind of messy. I guess now that I have jumped the hurdle of building custom MySQL databases, it just seems easier to me to build a database.

as to your question the music is just mp3
    In this case having them stored in a database is not needed. You could simply have them stored in a server in perhaps a www.domain.com/mp3 folder. Then just allow people access to that folder. Now if you want to have them searchable, you will need to build some type of master list that will link to each .mp3 file. If you are the only one uploading these mp3 files, then that shouldn't be a problem because you could also manually add a link to it in the master list. But as soon as you allow others to upload files to the server, you will need to somehow add that file to the list, automatically. Once again a database would work beautifully for this.

and do you know any site where i could find the particular script you mentionned?
    The script I was refering to would have to be hand written in PHP. You would have the PHP script do some basic authentication, user input validation, and then do an INSERT into the database.

To view the stuff in the database, you would do a SELECT [search paramater here] into the database. It would be a custom script, which in reality wouldn't be that hard to build, if you knew php. (which is very similar to C and C++).

where should i go in order to get my domain name and what is exactly the situation?

You can register your domain name on countless sites. Its really up to you to decide. Once you've registered simply log in to their DNS tools and you can change where it points to. Thats it.

Good luck
    xmad

thank you very much xmadness! Ok i learnt a lot through this thread! I will try to find such a script...i feel a lot better now because i have many things cleared up about creating sites...i think i will do a database as it is a pretty good solution even if the only person to input information will be my uncle because it will be easier for him to upload things he want....now for the mp3s again i will be the only one to upload but i as i need them searchable i will have to create this 'master list'...if i understand well this should be a list of the links (in html format perhaps? or is this going to be just a file of links where the search-script will search?)?
    thanks also for the info about dns registering!You have been of great help....
    PS:When i will finally finish this site i will show it to you to tell me if you like it...
    Is that the place where I am supposed to say sth clever and brilliant so that everybody understands how clever nice guy I am????
    Screw you guys I am going home!-Kartman

Yes the mp3 list should be normal html file containing mp3 links. Something like this:

Code:
    <ul>
       <li>Pink Floyd
        <ul>
           <li><a href='./time.mp3'>Time</a></li>
           <li><a href='./wish-you-were-here.mp3'>Wish You Were Here</a></li>
        </ul>
        </li>
    </ul>
    At least I think so - don't know what thinks xmaddness.
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]