Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McAfee Internet Security

McAfee Internet Security

I just installed McAfee Internet Security 6.0. All of the softwawre appeared to install normally, and i was able to configure it as one normally would. But whenever I connectied to the internet (i can dial into my ISP), I cannot get any web pages to pop up or any other programs to acknowledge the connection. From a command line I can ping an IP address but not a URL. I talked with four different support techs for McAfee, but none of them were remotely useful. I was wondering if anything like this happened to anyone else and if so, what they were able to do about it. BTHW I'm running XP

OHM
    [gloworange]R = V / I[/gloworange]

I am not that familiar with McAfee products anymore, since they crashed a system on me, but it sounds like you have the firewall portion of the security suite set to disallow any communications with the internet. Zonealarm has a lock/unlock button to turn access on or off, perhaps McAfee has something similar and you have it set on lock. (note Kireo, and EzArmor also have this lock)
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I have gone through all of those options both by myself and with tech support. There doesn't appear to be a setting that I can change that would allow me proper access. Right now I'm using other progs instead. It just makes me irate to have wasted the cash on software I can't use.

Ohm

Ohm,

I just recently purchased the 2004 Ver 8 McAfee with all the bells and whistles. After talking with 6 of their folks for mega-hours, and going through continual complete system freezes after install, I yanked that dude out and tossed it out the window. There were some youngins' outside and I told them they could use it for a fresbe and they abliged! So that's how I stand about McAfee now. I had used their products for over 5 years and had this problem twice. I guess Moxnix learns quicker than I do....lol. I use AVG and Housecall online scanner now (both free) and I haven't had any problems with either.

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php?

http://housecall.antivirus.com/house...tart_frame.asp

cheers

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    I cannot get any web pages to pop up or any other programs to acknowledge the connection. From a command line I can ping an IP address but not a URL. I talked with four different support techs for McAfee, but none of them were remotely useful. I was wondering if anything like this happened to anyone else and if so, what they were able to do about it. BTHW I'm running XP
    What you are getting is known as a 'log no surf,' means you can get online but cant display any webpages. Most of the time the reason is due to a mis-configured firewall. What does the exact message say? Did you configure your firewall to allow traffic through port 80? Did you also Set it to allow HTTP traffic? Have you tried disabling the firewall then connecting to the net if so, do you get the same issue? Do you have any antivirus currently running while the firewall is running? You should try to Flush the DNS by clicking on start, run, type cmd or (command) this brings up the command prompt now type ipconfig/flushdns press enter. You should RTFM so you'll actually know what you're doing when you're trying to configure your firewall. If this still doesnt work you should try reseting the TCP/IP stack. Hope this helps Computernerd22

Possibly the settings are set to manually allow programs access to the internet? Maybe IE and others do not have permission?

All good stuff,

Another possibility is if you have had another firewall previously, and it hasn't been completely uninstalled...............ZoneAlarm is a known culprit for this?

Also if you are running another AV in interactive mode?

If it isn't any of these, please try:

http://www.cexx.org

You are looking for "LSP Fix" a corrupt LSP stack is another possibility.

Good luck

Also...do not use Spy Nuker, if u do, that's the problem
    Well...its not gonna get much better than linux!

To clear a few more things up, it happens whether I have a firewall up or not. My firewall is properly configured and all proper programs are set to have access. And I tried this all after installing a new hard drive after my old one crashed.

I don't know much about the ipconfig/flushdns command, but I will look into it.

Thanks for all the help

Ohm

BTW after all this, I'm never using McAfee again.

DId you try to uninstall that program, and connect it to the internet? I experienced that problem also, I try to disable the firewall and install another firewall software, then yhe problem went away... I dont know what happen to Mcafee firewall, I just guessed it not compatible with my hardware, because I asked my friend to try it at diff machine, and it machine does work.