Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: computer repair

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar

Question computer repair

!!!!!!!Before you read note this: I searched this site for my topic and gave up around 6!, Google is not always the answer especially when there is 90% crap and 10% good stuff compared to asking you guys and getting a direct and better answer!!!!!!!

PROBLEM: An old cpu! Its from my friend! He said that he just deleted everything. It looks like he just took out the cd-rom drive. When I turn it on, it doesn't boot. I know it works because the harddrive gets warm, etc! I tried different things but didn't work! I don't know what type of computer it is--It looks like someone bulit it by themself-i.e computer shop! Inside it:: intel on the motherboard, and caviar(western digital)11200 harddrive.....

If anyone can turn me in the right direction with help or other web-sites, I would apreciate that! thanx

If there was a award to be awarded for the most vauge post...
    There is no POSSIBLE way to determine if the PC is even functional by what you posted.
    hard drive is warm? sure it is. that tells me the powersupply works, and your hard disks motor is spinning. Do you have a vid display? POST beeps? ANYTHING for us to go on???
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

Hi,

I appreciate your problem, It could be almost anything we will need some more information:

1. What does it have.........I am assuming that there is a floppy drive, a harddrive (you mentioned it) anything else? soundcard?, video card, modem, NIC?

2. I am sure that you have checked that it has a processor and at least one RAM strip?

3. Power it on with the case off and look for lights on the motherboard, HDD and the front of the case............you should get some flickering from the floppy drive and the HDD light. There is frequently a light on the MoBo, and on the HDD itself.

4. Do the fans start and run smoothly?

5. Do you get any "beeps" from it? if so, how many?

6. Do you get anything showing on the VDU, or does it give some sort of "no signal" message? I am wondering if you can get into the BIOS, or if the POST is failing before that?

With the power OFF (unplugged) check that all connections from the power supply are firm. There should be one to the MoBo, HDD and Floppy drive.

Let us know how you get on

avenger_jcc thanx for your award! I'm almost crying! I didn't want to write every detail down until I knew someone would reply! Since it doesn't show up on the homepage!!

Modem
    Sound card
    Four ram cards
    Floppy drive!
    No beeping
    no video display
    keyboard lights don't show
    as far as a processor, could you tell me how this looks like?

sorry for the vagueness! thanks

YOu say he deleted everythign, so I'm assuming that he formatted the drive.

If he did that, then the computer won't boot, you'll probably just get a message saying no OS found.

Also if he took out the CD-ROM drive your gonna need to put one in so that you can install a OS.

so from what I know, your gonna need to install a OS.
    =

OK

Somewhere close to the memory strips there should be a square device about 40mm. It should have a heatsink mounted on top of it, and perhaps a 60mm fan mounted on top of that. If you just see a square shape with a lot of little holes, the processor is missing

Does the light on the floppy drive come on and flicker?

Do the fans start up, how many are there.........there will be one in the power supply unit, any others?

Does the hard drive light flicker? (on the front of the computer case).

It sounds as if you are not getting very far into the POST cycle?

Cheers

If you DO have a CPU installed on the motherboard WITH a heatsink and fan, try to locate the manufacturer, model and revision numbers for the board. They are usually printed on the board itself (most times they will be a combination of alpha and numeric symbols). Check along the edges, near the PCI/ISA slots (where your modem, sound card, etc. are 'plugged' into the board) and around the middle of the board. Write down and post any references you can find (PCB, Rev., etc.) which will aid in tracking down the specifications for your particular 'custom system'. Be sure the computer is turned off AND unplugged before removing the case cover. If the inside of the computer is a bit 'cluttered', gently move cables aside and try using a flashlight to get a better view. DO NOT touch the flashlight to the board or anything installed on the board. If you have a static wriststrap, be sure to use it. It is always a good idea to have a users manual for your computer systems motherboard on hand.

Since you are not getting any beeps or video display, you may want to check the seating for your RAM and video card - then reseat each of them. If you are not familiar with the proper procedure, please post back here and we can outline it for you (that way you won't end up with damaged memory or cards). Many times no display + no beeps = a loose video card and/or RAM module.

Please let us know what you find and GOOD LUCK!!

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

AntiOnline n00b
    Since you are not getting any beeps or video display, you may want to check the seating for your RAM and video card - then reseat each of them. If you are not familiar with the proper procedure,
    proper procedure?? Just pull the thing and then push it back . I suggest you definately try this, remove all your PCI cards and RAM cards that are there. then put the RAM and PCI cards Back in then Boot the System, see if it boots. But it they are loose or faulty the system should beep

Try Changing the CMOS Battery. i don't have a proper explanation for this but when i worked as Tech Support, i saw this problem with some old assembled computer, when the battery died they showed sysmptoms very similar to what you have stated. When you press the Power Button every thing seem to work fine (Hard , CPU fan Started Started). no beeps ect.but nothing on the monitor the light on the monitor didn't turn green remained red. nothing helped but when changed the CMOS Battery it started working fine .

thanks for helping me guys. I took the hard drive out of the computer tower and hooked it up to mine. The HD works fine. I put the windows startup disk to enable me to get into ms-dos mode. He didn't format it(it still has the dirs), he just deleted everything! stupid! I got it to work but it says it has probelms loading the gdi.exe?! So I imported(copied) from my harddrive to his! This helped it but still has problems loading! While switching my hard drive back I tore the cable. Now I feel like a moron! So I have to get a new one today! <<Is it possible, by accident, to wipe the harddrive clean!?..>>

Does gdi.exe need any other files to back it up?
    I'm figuring that even If I would be able to fix the HD on my tower that it won't work on his tower.....

Now I have a question for you oldtimers(no offence!), how did you guys do it in the oldschool days?

And as I was looking at my piece of **** computer I was wondering how did we figure on putting to chips together and making a computer?! Wierd!

Nothing on his comp tower (lights) flicker. The processor is there! No display and no beeps! Just hum of the fan and HD!

vvirtho >> If you don't mind explain the outline for me...please! Jus to see how its done!

-bis bald!

If you want to wipe the hard drive clean, put in a startup disk and type

format c:

I googled gdi.exe and it seems that if you delete your video card from the device manager and reinstall your drivers, that should fix the problem.
    =