Thread: Harddrive issue?

Harddrive issue?

I have an old 300 mghz IBM 300 GL at home that will not boot into Windows. It detects all devices in the bios and every time I boot it, it says Operating system not found with a picture of a huge disk and drive. I have reformatted and reinstalled Windows and tryed fixing the master boot record. Could this just be a sign of a drive starting to die? It weird that it will go ahead and reinstall windows 98 fine, but once it gets around to restarting, it goes to that OS not found screen. Its also gives error 1962. Any ideas?

This has not been my month in regards to hardware...
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

did you try fdisk'ing killing off all partitions and fdisk /mbr ?

I wouldn't think the HDD is bad. sounds more like the bootsector didn't take..
    Altohugh I suppose if the first few sectors of the drive are bad.. this could lead to a bootsector problem.. you could still use the drive as a slave for storage.

maybe try a zero fill utility from the hard drive manufacturer..?

Well, I hate sayin' this to a senior member but...

Did you Google error 192? maybe you can relay what you find in regards to your situation to us and maybe we can relate it to a situation we've been in.

Sorry about the Google advice, but whatever you can pick up from it that connects with your problelm would be useful for me if I ever run into something similar.

Again, sorry about the Google advice. I dont mean to be a jackass.

I did a little searching for you at the IBM website and came up with this :

Aptiva 2178, 2198 / IBM PC300GL 6563, 6564, 6574, 6593 - Symptom-to-FRU index

• Hard disk drive boot error
    • Power supply errors
    • Beep symptoms
    • No-beep symptoms
    • POST error codes
    • Miscellaneous error messages
    • Undetermined problems

Hope that helps.

Note : Changed the link somehow I copied and pasted the wrong one. The new link is the correct one. My apologies.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Originally posted here by sumdumguy
    did you try fdisk'ing killing off all partitions and fdisk /mbr ?

I wouldn't think the HDD is bad. sounds more like the bootsector didn't take..
    Altohugh I suppose if the first few sectors of the drive are bad.. this could lead to a bootsector problem.. you could still use the drive as a slave for storage.

maybe try a zero fill utility from the hard drive manufacturer..?
    Did do an fdisk /mbr but no luck.

Well, I hate sayin' this to a senior member but...

Did you Google error 192? maybe you can relay what you find in regards to your situation to us and maybe we can relate it to a situation we've been in
    Did do a little Googling and one of the solutions seemed to help.

Thanks for the support codes and the help guys.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)