Thread: About Security Downloads here!!!

About Security Downloads here!!!

I have been told several times that this site is not for hacking but prevention of hacking and the latest in security world. But when i looked into the security downloads archive i got confused as it has most of its material related to facilitate hacking. How do u justify that......
    Be Cool

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Since this isn't a suggestion on how to improve AO, I've moved to Questions about AO.

It's called learning and understand things from the point of view of the attacker. If you can understand the tools used by the attacker (and the tools here are simply script kiddie tools) you can understand better how to defend yourself.

Plus, many of these tools are way old, easily detectable by AV software and some barely work so their "advantages" are kinda passed. In addition, newer versions or original versions can be found all over the Internet (we just have an easier and quicker selection). Lastly, many of the tools in the download either are trojans or have trojans in them.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I tend to agree with the "learn by example" idea behind posting the security downloads they have here. Like writing code, or learning most anything, text and discussion are fine, but seeing the actual tools can make a big difference in how attacks and overall security are seen by the person learning.
    Sometimes the best way to build a better mouse trap, is to wait and see how the mice are getting in, in the first place.

Cheers!
    ~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!

There's downloads here? ;-)

A similar question has been asked of universities hosting programmes and classes dedicated to teaching the methods and tools of hackers. By way of analogy, police need to know how burglers break into houses, and their knowledge and training makes the rest of the neighborhood safe.

AO is a quality place. Compare the content and users here any day to some of the other self-described "security sites" and it's abundantly obvious this place exists only to increase the body of knowledge on security topics.

l00p

Really now......

I, myself, would like some logical explanation as to why when i downloaded what was SUPPOSED to be a text file I wound up with anything BUT a text file....
    Link to file : http://anticode.antionline.com/text-...eninfo&did=104

Program Name: a-s.zip

File Size: 181.51 Kb

Upload Date: 20040307063022

Category: anti-social

Description:

Downloads: 390

Author: 0

HomePage:
    Contains the files ( when viewing the contents with WinRar)
    A-S.exe, Issue1.dat, Register.exe

When scanned with McAfee Virus Scan, reveals the following file : VTool/dat10

Must be deleted, cannot be cleaned.

I was not trying to download a "tool", merely a text file to read, but (bam!!) guess not eh ??
    ?So what's REALLY the deal here ??

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    That particular magazine, Anti-Social Magazine, publishes in a "menu driven ascii text". Hence, why it's not in text format. That said, as I have pointed out earlier some of the items have some type of infection. This dates back to a far earlier time when it was rumored that AO was used for "date collection". (it was rumor so I'll leave it at that).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I think it would be better if a "If you dont know what your doing or if you dont know what your downloading do not click on any of this" warning would be posted in that section.