Thread: Fighting Back: Symbiot Security

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Fighting Back: Symbiot Security

You can visit their site at http://www.symbiot.com/ but I wonder how legal this will be and how accurate it will be. They claim the following:

first IT security solution that can both repel hostile attacks on enterprise networks and accurately identify the malicious attackers in order to plan and execute appropriate countermeasures - effectively fighting fire with fire
    There are no details as to what the iSIMS actually is (device or software). In fact, details are very vague. Perhaps a way to get attention before release?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I've always been really interested in these types of "solutions".

On one hand, if there was a way to remove vulnerable machines, or remotely patch them, then the internet would be a "safer place". But, in doing so, unautorized access to a computer, you're also breaking the law. Is it worth getting yourself into trouble to keep a machine from attacking you? Or, just make sure your firewall is setup to block the attacks?

They didn't really say HOW they were going to stop the attackers. Defense is probably best. Because how can you REALLY know who your attacking back? The actual "cracker" would hopefully not be so stupid to attack directly from their machine. So, you attack Grandma Smith...

Reminds me of a thread that we discussed a while back... I think most of the opinions will be relevant, so I'll link to it.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=252406

In the practical art of war, they are considered dispersive
    ground. Additional levels of symmetric response apply invasive techniques, which
    require the authorization of management for specific arming orders. Invasive techniques
    can be categorized as: (1) non-destructive; (2) destructive but recoverable; and (3)
    destructive, non-recoverable – again with respect to proportional response to the hostile
    acts.
    Ok, so I get a hold of their hack back solution and I call myself "management".
    I attack back in the worst possible way turning grandmas machine into an boat anchor.

This could be fun!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

heh, I was just reading about that on the FD mailing list Ms Mittens

Anyway, like has been stated before this is a bad, BAD, idea. I don't know that there is any way, short of detailed forensics, that can prove who is attacking you, and this usually crosses the boundry to various different ISP security groups to do so. These people are going to be the cause of a lot of "issues" with basic endusers who get owned by some skiddie.

I forsee them getting the proverbial pants sued off of them in short order... but of course I could be wrong

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.