Thread: Installing Service Packs on windows 2003..?!!!

Installing Service Packs on windows 2003..?!!!

Hi there ppl!

I installed today windows server 2003 Enterprise, and i already went to the Windows Update site to download the latest security and other files.
    A friend gave me this CD with Symantec Entreprise Firewall w/ VPN v7.0, and it says that i need at least SP1..for other features of it, i also need SP2 or later.. so, my question is, were can i get Service Packs for my windows version ( it´s not the 64bits version ).

Here http://support.microsoft.com/default...&ct=sd&se=nona doenst appear Service Pack for windows 2003, should i use the one for windows 2000?!!

Im lost here..newbie i know! Can anyone help me out?!
    Owmen

AO French Antique News Whore
    Their is NO Service Pack for Windows 2003 yet.
    Their is 4 Service Pack for Windows 2000.
    Their is 1 Service Pack for Windows XP.
    Their is NO Service Pack for Windows XP 64 Bits.

Your friend mess up Windows 2000 with Windows 2003 I think.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I have another problem!!!

I have 2 pc´s, one with XP Pro and the other one ( now ) with Windows Server 2003!
    I installed windows Server 2003 via XP, like, i put the two hardrives on the same PC, formated one, and installed Windows choosing that drive.
    When reboot windows it appears the boot screen asking me to choose between those two OS!
    The problem is this:

I put the second dis ( the one with Windows 2003 ) back on the other pc, and when i boot the following error appears: NTRSL or NTLS or something like that i dont remember appears! and then it reboots!
    What is the problem? why cant i boot normaly?
    Owmen

AntiOnline n00b
    hi

I think the error would NTLDR missing. From what i have understood from your post is:
    [list=1][*] You have two PC One had XP and other i think Had Some other OS.
    [*]now you took the other one and put it in the XP box
    [*]format this newly added hard disk and installed Windows 2003
    [*]you remove(with Windows 2003) this Hard Disk and put it back to the second Comp[/list=1]

if yes , it will definately give this error. NTLDR is the program that displays the OS loader startup menu. All the Necesary files Such as Boot.ini and NTLDR are stored in the root directory of the primary hard disk drive. (eg C:\NTLDR) . i think this second hard Drive(the Windows 2003 one) Does not have Any Boot Information. i would suggest you Repair the windows 2003 installation this should solve your problem.

--Good Luck--

SwordFish_13, that was exactly what i did!! And i guess that if i manage to go to the Recovery Console and repair it, it might work.. has i tried to put the XP disk here has well and it doenst boot 2, so..i really need to repair or..in drastic mesures..re-install it..

But i have this problem, there aren´t any Boot Disk´s for Windows Server 2003, and my PC´s cannot boot from the CD..ppl here said that i could make a simple DOS boot disk and then install windows Server 2003 from there..but heres a problem:

When i do that, and go to boot from a simple boot disk, when i try to run Setup.exe it always says: "This program cannot be executed in DOS" or something similar!

1s - How can i install Windows Server 2003 from a simple Boot disk in DOS?

2s - How can i make a Windows Server 2003 boot disk so that i can repair it?

3s - To repair it, i have to put the hardrive on the second PC ( the one i intended to install it in the first place, and i didn´t only because of the probs i told above ) ? or can i repair it over here ( in this pc, with the 2 hardrives connected ) and then move this hardrive to the other pc?

I´m sorry for the mess..but i really need help!!!
    Owmen

AntiOnline n00b
    hi Owmen

the First Disk Contaning XP Should Work fine i guess, or its not?

1s - How can i install Windows Server 2003 from a simple Boot disk in DOS?
    [list=1][*]Get yourself a windows98 boot up disk. [*]Boot your System with windiws 98 bootable floppy/CD[*]on the Prompt type "CD d:\" assuming the CD Drive is "D" "enter/return" button[*]at d:\_ type "cd i386" "enter/return" button[*] then at D:\I386_ type "Winnt" it should starty a setup program.[*] you can follow instructions given by the wizard/setup program.[/list=1]

2s - How can i make a Windows Server 2003 boot disk so that i can repair it?
    Same applies to WindowsXP

To repair it, i have to put the hardrive on the second PC ( the one i intended to install it in the first place, and i didn´t only because of the probs i told above ) ? or can i repair it over here ( in this pc, with the 2 hardrives connected ) and then move this hardrive to the other pc?
    what are you trying to do ? do you want the both hard drives on the same computer with a dual boot option(XP/Windows2003). or do you want them to be on two seprate computers with one running XP and the other win2003.

because if you were to run them on the same computer you have done that so i am assuming you want the second option to run them seprately

if i were you i would have done the following"

[list=1][*]Install the two hard drives in their respactive computers[*]Check both of the computers if they work or not ( My guess is XP should work and win2003 should not)[*]If both are not working i would repair both on seprate computers.(should Work)[*]If still dosen't work i would backup all my data format the two disks seperatly and reinstall both the OS on respective computers.[/list=1]
    --Good Luck--