Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No right click

No right click

On our school system the right click has been disabled outside of applications (which is mighty annoying). I was playing about with my teacher today and worked out how to make .reg files regardless. Now i know that double clicking them will import them into the registry however is it possible to edit them without using a right click? would i be able to open say notepad and open a .reg file? I have found where the administarator has exported all the changes he has made to the registry and he is wondering now if that was a bad idea so i want to know if it would be possible to edit these and then import them to undo the changes?

I'd like to know what you are doing adding things to your school computers registry.
    MySig != Worth your time

im not accully doing anything i was just wondering if its possible. Yes i do have permission from both him and my ICT teacher and no you probbaly dont belive me

If you happen to perform these actions on a system, do you understand that you will be liable for any further actions performed on that system after the changes were made. Even if you changed a reg file, but never executed it. Once someone executes it and it performs the auctions you programmed it to or worse off (did something you did not attend). I'm sure it will all be traced back to you and I don't think you want that. This questions seems more like your trying to pull something off rather than learn anything, so I am going to have to decline from commenting.

[HINT]: If you were able to right click and "edit" the file... in which program would it open? [/HINT]
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

change the extension of .reg to .txt, edit the file, rename it back and woo hoo

AntiOnline n00b
    change the extension
    dosen't have permission to right click i believe. Simplest possible option Just open it in the notepad
    [HINT]: If you were able to right click and "edit" the file... in which program would it open? [/HINT]
    Says it all . even you had permission to right click you would have to opn it in a text Editor to edit it
    Notepad File->Open

in the open dialog box
    In File of Types-->All Files

if you are trying to pull something out (you sound like it) take Info Tech Advice.Your Admin should have some sence and at least store this file in some place not accesable to all.

[Edit]

yes phishphreek80 Almost forgot the"Command Prompt". you can also right click using keyboard "Ctrl+Shift+F10" .

SwordFish_13: correct. but, if the users has access to a command prompt, then they can rename the file via CLI. or, they can browse to the location of the .reg file and open it via CLI with the edit command. Not everything has to be done via GUI.

edit

c:\>edit c:\test\test.reg

or rename

c:\>rename c:\test\test.reg test.txt

Also, a lot of times, the "right click key" on the keyboard will still be enabled.
    It is located near the right ctrl button.

The windows keys are there for users who don't like mice, and prefer the KB.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

err yes...phish and Fish..... but if you're using Windows - which they probably are... you don't even need to drop to CLI... using Windows Explorer you can just click on the filename... then click on the file menu and what do we see there.... 'rename' file option (amazing!)... you can even just slowly double click on the file name (leave about 0.5-1.0 second gap) and guess what you'll also be able to rename it that way.

Sheesh guys you like to make things more complicated don't you...

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Zonewalker: You're absolutely right! There are plenty of ways to do it. And you're also right about making things more complicated than they are. I always do that for some reason...