Thread: web cam, security

web cam, security

hello, computer wizards..... I am thinking of having a web cam in my office, is this secure? do I have to install extra security sofware for the webcam?............thank you for your time karma.

Can you be a little more specific ?
    You don't want the skiddies to watch with subT while the web cam is on?
    Physical security?
    Software security?
    ect........the original question is kind of fauge.

I've always wondered about uPnp being open, isn't that plug and play? If a USB cam is installed, would it be accesseble remotely through some sort of exploit? I've found a lot of information about how bad it is to have the UPnP port open, but I've never found out why.

I hope these links will give you the information you are looking for.
    http://www.softandco.com/Internet/c/...8/WebCCTV.html
    http://johannes.homepc.org/security.htm

SUBT?

hey mitation i never heard of subT ???
    what is that? how can they get access of your webcam using it?

is their a post on here about it?
    can you please elaborate

it seems there's nothing impossible for anything nowadays........

thanks

I have considered this before. Is it possible to connect remotely to webcams and to watch without the knowledge of the user. Ive never found any articles discussing this possible infridgement of privacy and security risk in some cases on this subject, if anyone knows any i would be very intressted to read. Would simply having a firewall stop the inbound connection? I remember some vague details on stuff about programs that can detect motion via the webcam and then capture footage or something about when you think the webcam is off it is still on, cant remember anything else though.
    \"I\'m gonna buy a gun and start a war
    If you can tell me something worth fighting for\" - Rush of Blood To the Head

Re: SUBT?

Originally posted here by w00kies
    hey mitation i never heard of subT ???
    what is that? how can they get access of your webcam using it?
    is their a post on here about it?
    can you please elaborate
    it seems there's nothing impossible for anything nowadays........
    thanks
    Yeah, If I have to spell it out for you, I was making fun of the skiddie jargon.

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/l/leetspea.htm

CUseeme, webcam

Using the older verison of CUseeme, but Cornell, you could pretty easily access a remote cam IF 1) they were online with someone else, and 2) if you had their IP. On the remote end they would get a bit of lag if they were dial up, and they would sometimes lose entires sentences in chat. Sometimes the user would get a pop asking if they wished to allow you to join their conversation, but not often.
    You could in fact, sit their all day until they disconnected. They would never know you were lurking them. (It happened to me a number of times).
    Under the WhitePines verison of CUseeme, It happened a few times, but after several verison updates, it no longer seemed to be an issue.
    I haven't used a webcam in about 2 years, so I have no idea about the other programs out there.
    So I guess the answer is yes, it is possible, but I don't know the mechanics of how to make it unsecure.

MrCoffee
    ~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!

Talking

:D thanks, for your help it was clear and to the point...