Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: security measures i can take?

security measures i can take?

hi everyone. recently i met someone online by the name of evan hudson. we got along for awhile and then he started to get mean. lately he has become increasingly hostile towards me. he has sent me an email stating that he knows my ip and that he can do lots of stuff with it. i am worried that he will be able to track down my location and hurt me. are there any ways that i can protect myself so that he doesnt try to find out where i live and try to hurt me? also is there anything that i can do to physically protect me?

Ok, first get a firewall on your computer - zonelabs, sygate etc...

Next, check out the postings by Pooh Sun Tzu on securing Windows XP (if you are using XP).

I wouldn`t worry too much about him tracking down your actual physical location, your IP address will provided by your ISP so unless he can get access to their data he is not going to find your home address (unless you give it to him of course).

The chances are that he is a)being a dick and b) a script kiddie at best, so he is going to want to try some fairly basic stuff against you, so make sure you have an active firewall, and a decent anti virus program, don`t open any attachments this chap sends you, and best to ignore him from now on I think.

As far as physically protecting yourself, how about kung fu? works well, as does Aikido.

Let us know a bit more about your setup, what operating system are you using? how are you connecting to the net? (Dial up? DSL? ect..), then you can get some tailor made answers.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

reportabuse@????.net
    www.SAMSPADE.org
    As for physical security , you mean one on one, hand to hand combat, I don't know about that maybe there is a local Taekwondo near you!
    I would'nt worry about him!
    (Suggestion)Get his IP(report it), get a firewall and block his Range.

he knows where i live though because i have told him when i first met him. i didnt tell him my address only my city and state. do you think he will find me off of that? he is very smart and resourceful and i wouldnt underestimate him.

my set up for my computer?
    i run windows me
    i use dsl
    my ip rotates about once a week but never beyond a certain range i think
    i play a lot of video games and i think that you can see my ip address from them
    i have avg virus scanner and i run that at least twice a week
    i connect through the internet through a hub so i can play my games right when i connect through the router though nothing works even on the military zone
    is there anything else that you need to know?
    i dont think that there is a firewall on my computer i know that there is one on windows xp but i cant find it on windows me

thank you very much for your help.

how do i find out his ip address so thati can report it? also i will visit those websites that you gave me. i should just take some karate classes to protect myself? will that work?

Is this the same WIZARD as _Wizard_108 ?
    (Profile: if so you look pretty gangsta, you could prolly handle him) http://www.antionline.com/member.php...o&userid=55488

I really wouldn't worry about him tracking you down to cause you physical harm I believe he is just saying all that garbage just to scare you. Just do what the others suggested and you will be ok.

Banned
    should just take some karate classes to protect myself? will that work?
    I would go with Shao-Lin or njinjitsu . but yeah it will help you, he is probaly a little geek anyways and if not, take some classes, you can take him, if he beats you up though, send a picture on AO and we will beat him up, he sure lives somewhere where an AO member lives nearby.

ok thank you. i guess that i will ask my parents to sign me up for a self defense class of some sort. i think that i should have been taking some self defense a long time ago.

i am not that other wizard though. i just found this place about a week ago after i did some search on google.

i installed the firewall like memory said but now things are poping up and i dont know what to click for some of it. do i have viruses on my computer that my virus scanner doesnt pick up? should i downlaod another virus scanner? i clicked yes to some of the programs that i know that i use like messenger and internet explorer but i dont know about any of the others. should i just click them all to permit just to be safe that everything works?

Banned
    i installed the firewall like memory said but now things are poping up and i dont know what to click for some of it.
    If you're not sure about the services or programs that are asking permission to open a port. Ask us