Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: security measures i can take?

do i have viruses on my computer that my virus scanner doesnt pick up?
    You keep AVG updated right?

If you dont feel safe with AVG - you can do a free online scan with trend micro-
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

i installed the firewall like memory said but now things are poping up and i dont know what to click for some of it.
    If its working properly, whenever something tries to access the internet, the firewall will ask you to allow it to go or not allow. This works to defend against trojans/dialers/spyware. Can you tell us which firewall you picked?

And physical security- if you really dont feel safe, just do something to make him feel like you lied about where you live on before, and you actually live somewhere else.

edit: just realized everything i said was already stated

Find a instructor that teaches straight up streetfighting- much more effective with less experience, very brutal. Regardless if someone is after you or not, martial arts is a great hobby.

if he beats you up though, send a picture on AO and we will beat him up, he sure lives somewhere where an AO member lives nearby.
    Looks like we gotta start the AO Mafia...

whoa whoa. Almost every peice of advice here given has been WRONG. Take this seriously. If he has threatened bodily injury to you, it is not a time to start learning defence, it is time to tell someone. Drop the act, drop the worries, and tell someone. Tell the police, tell your ISP, or tell your parents.
    Sure sure, you can secure your box and prevent any further information from going out, but the damage is already done. Put this into the hands of authorities, not yourself. This is not a joking, laughing matter.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

I feel really stupid saying that and it probably won't help, but isn't one of the guidlines of internet chatting, never to give out your real name/address/phone number and all other information that could potentially be used against you?

For next time, you can always check that out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/chatguide/

Apart from that, your post is quite scary. My little sister started surfing the net some time ago, while the other is getting her hands on MSN Messenger. Would you guys happen to know of any proggies that can either monitor what is going on, or block offensive/abusive content?

I suppose educating children is probably the safset way. Thanks anyway, and good luck to you Wizard314 - be sure to keep us posted on the direction this thing is taking
    -Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate-

hi,
    this guy is talking rubbish...
    i doubt he will be able to track you down. As for self defence: Showlin (sp?) is really good so i heard. You learn how to do some pretty amazing stuff including learning how to use weapons like knives an sticks. Well for now u should have learnt a lesson on dealing with such people. Give me his email address an i will add him on my list an get to know him an then we will c what he is really talkin about.
    Good luck
    DaBlackPanther--Jo_UKcrew

he hasnt threatened to hurt me yet but i hear of things like this on tv. i never told him where my house is only what city i live in and stuff. i took karate when i was about 7 or 8 years old but that was ten years ago. i am looking at some self defense class now. i think that the city offers them for free so i might take those. i want to stop him from finding me so that he cant hurt me.

i put in Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) but my brother knows a lot of zone lab firewall and i took the other one out and now have zonelab firewall. he knows a lot about that so he said that if i dont have any viruses on my computer then i could let the stuff go through to the internet. i keep my avg anytivirus up to date every two weeks it asks for an update and downloads it for you.

i will keep you posted if there is any more help i need then i will ask you. i reviewed those guide about how to chat online safely and i will try to follow them. thank you.

How will he learn Kung Fu in that amount of time?

For my part, I'd go with Aikido... If you're not that strong , it's one of the best martial art you can learn, imho.

But anyway, you shouldn't have to. I really doubt a guy will come all the way from where-ever he is, to simply try to kick your ass. But as pooh sun tzu said, if he keeps bothering you, go to the police. Don't let a low-life scum bag keep you up at night.
    Alternatively, you may want to change isp... although the probability of him getting your real address is, I would say, pretty low.
    -Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate-

Dead Man Walking
    How will he learn Kung Fu in that amount of time?
    if Neo can do it so can he. in all seriousness if dont dont allready know how to defend yourself then now is not really the apropriate time to learn. Its a little late for that. Does this peckerhead supposedly live close to you? Most of the people i talk to arent even in the same country as me so this guy could be thousands of miles away. Take it as a lesson to be carefull what info you divulge. Come on your 17.18 years old you should know better but now that youve got yourself into trouble the only advise i can give you is to keep logs of all conversations/activity related to this dude. That way in the event you have to go to authourity you have some kind of proof even though its not going to be very credible because its easily spoofed. Its better than nothing though.