Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti Virus

Anti Virus

Is norton better than macfee (antivirus)?

imo.. they both suck equally.. resource hogs.. bloatware..

Question best

what antivirus do you recommend

Housecall.trendmicro.com

Doesnt take up resources unless you want it to (because its a website you visit)

Problem with that is you don't get realtime protection...

I use norton myself, I don't mind it's "false alarms", performance hogging, I'd rather it be paranoid and busy than trusting and lazy. But I use both so they check each other's work. And don't forget your spyware, trojan scanners as well.

Ad Aware
    Spyboy S&D both available on download.com

I haven't decided on a trojan scanner though. Everyone seems to think you need a seperate one.

Corrections welcome as usual...

I don't mind it's "false alarms", performance hogging

but if it makes false alarms it could delete something use full

eh, not that kind of false alarm. I had the source to a old virus in a txt file once, and it deleted it. You won't get any false alarms that will delete you're homework, only legit signatures.

BTW a txt file isn't a threat, so thats why it was a "false alarm". Txt files don't run code. YET!!!!

JK
    Soda

I've used Norton and McAfee both, and can't say I've yet seen one better than the other; they seem pretty equal. Most of my experience is with Norton though. I've never had Norton delete anything important either.

My problem now, however, is that I can't afford the subscriptions, so I'm currently using Avast! freeware antivirus, complete with a realtime scanner and automatic signature updates. I haven't had it long enough to critique its performance yet though. But so far, so good.

As an aside, I work with CA eTrust antivirus where I work net admin. It's performed fairly well too, but certainly not as user-friendly as Norton or McAfee.

Question

out of the both can detect more stuff?

I am asking so many things because i am thinking of buying a new anti virus but i want to know whats better

McAfee and Norton are pretty even in that regard -- the only descrepancy you'll really find is who gets the signature files up for the latest attacks the fastest, but that's not a major detail (if memory servers correct, that's one category CA actually beat both of them in).

You'll probably be as happy with either one.

<edit> Always remember though, as long as you're careful and knowledgable about what files you download, you're AV software will rarely have to be called into action anyway.</edit>

Hey Hey,

Don't buy AV software. It's just not worth it. If you want the protection go with AVG from www.grisoft.com. It's free and it's just as good as, if not better than, norton and McAffee. If you are insistant on buying than go with Norton. McAffee produces shitty software, eTrust from computer associates is slightly better, but not by much. We have it licensed for the network here, yet there are still countless virus incidents, as for Mcaffe.. you can find hundreds of older virii on any computer protected by it. I've seen both of them fail way to often to rely on either of them. Norton is the only software I would purchase, or AVG 7, if I was going to spend money. However AVG Free is great. lately they've even been beating Norton on how fast they release their updates.

Peace,
    HT