Thread: dual boot windows xp-pro/98se

dual boot windows xp-pro/98se

Hello,

I just recently bought Windows 98se off of ebay. I already have Windows Xp Pro, and I want to dual-boot them.

I've searched on google, and I kept seeing that Windows 98 would have to be installed first in order for it to work. Is my only choice to backup everything, format my hd, then install Win 98 and then Xp?

..any other alternative?

Mike
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

Check out Black Vipers site. He gives a fairly good tutorial on how to dual boot windows. http://www.blackviper.com/
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

yes http://www.blackviper.com/ Tutorials on OS are really good they were a great help to me you can try giving it a read.

you can do is just install windows 98 don't worry about anything . windows 98 will capture MBR and NTLDR wouldn't be able to run so you wouldn't see the Startup screen giving the option to select the OS. Don't worry XP is there you are just not being able to see it. Now you have two options

• Edit the Boot.ini (i wouldn't recommend it until you know what you are doing)
    • Do what i generally do: ( partially run the XP Setup)

boot your system with Windows 98 bootable Floppy or CD . now put your Windows Xp Pro CD and start the setup"D:\winnt\winnt "hit Return this will start a setup and it will start copying files needed to run the setup on your hard drive(no we are not going to reinstall XP) after if has finished copying it will restart and we are done. you will see three menu options depending on the number of OS you have

• Misrosoft Windows 98
    • Microsoft Xp
    • Install/Upgrade

do not select Install/Upgrade or it will again Install XP (Warning: The option will only remain there for 2 seconds and start the Install/Upgrade so be fast to react).

now you can do is ignore this " Install/Upgrade" option or you can also remove it by going in the boot.ini and removing the option there.

Caushion : While installing OS and related System Softwares always be prepare for the worst , things might go wrong they sometimes do you can not help it, So always Take backup of your Critical Data

--Good Luck--

what about two different partitions..? wouldn't that be safer?

(sorry if i didn't specify that at first)
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

what about two different partitions..? wouldn't that be safer?
    "Sorry. i didn't get you safer in what sense?" .

any way you like it . i have a box with Win2000 and Win 98 dual boot on the same partation for almost six months haven't given me any problem as yet. so it's you choice install it on a different partation or the same one.

--Good Luck--