Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bertuzzi banned from Hockey or arrested?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Bertuzzi banned from Hockey or arrested?

One of the most disgusting plays I've seen in ages (short of the former Nordiques goalie -- Border? -- getting skated on the neck) was the recent decking and then slam into the ice by Bertuzzi on Moore. If people have seen the tape you will see that Bertuzzi "stalked" (for lack of a better word) Moore, then sucker punched him and pushed Moore to the ice.

So should he be punished for it or is this just "part of the game"?

Articles:

Canoe

Toronto Star

Sports Illustrated/CNN
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I am a hockey fan, and being that the Avs are my top team I am freakin pissed about it. Hocky is a violent sport. I am one for a good check as any fan but... sucker punching a dude unconcious and then driving the limp body into the ice to BREAK his neck is a bit overboard. There is a reason the Canadian authorities are investigating criminal charges. I walk in Avs fan circles and I am trying to be fair to the sport but it does not give license to arbitrarily kill somone, which very easily could have happened right there on the ice.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Bah. I'll probably neg me for this one but I think that Bertuzzi did the right thing with beating him. He's was not excepting for Moore to be know unconcious but he basically hit him too hard.

In hockey today, in your injure a player on purpose in a game, the next game between those two team, the guy will be sure get a beating. It's even worse when you're a rookie like Moore and attack on the top guy like Naslund and get away with nothing (Not even a 2 mins). The hit that Moore gave Naslund 3-4 weeks ago got me sick the way rookie have no respect for top NHL player.

Bertuzzi just decided to do the justice himself and went to far.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Well, the NHL has decided in a suspension for the rest of the season including the Playoffs, "fine"(?) to Bertuzzi of $500,000 and "fine" to the Canucks of $250,000. While what Moore did wasn't right, the eye-for-an-eye concept isn't a good one since it escalates every time. The tape shows Bertuzzi flowing and taunting Moore. When Moore didn't respond, he deliberately went after him.

Fights and assaults to this degree do not have to exist in the NHL. They need only look at Aussie Rules Football to see how you can reduce the fights and improve the quality of the game. Personally, I don't think there needs to be fights to make the game good.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

OK If i puled a stunt like that on the streat I would go to jail, what he did was outside of the context of the game...just pure thugery and should be turned over to the athorities.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Two thing I consider outside of Hocky.

1. If you provoke a fight and the other guy walks away or does not respond, there is no fight.

2. Once a man goes down, he's down.

The guy was skating away from him and he sucker punched him like a little bitch.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Road, he didn't just sucker punch him ,he then fallowed him to the ground to continue the beeating, that show intent t odo major bodely harm in my book
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Oh I agree, thus number 2. When your in a fight no matter what circumstance, when the dude is down and you keep hitting him it's brutal assault and makes the one doing the beating a little beowtch in my book.
    West of House

The team should be disbanded, its assets sold at auction
    and given to the victim.

A player doesn't act that way unless he's been trained
    to act that way. Punish the owner and the problem
    will be solved overnight.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

it sure needs some correction. Perhaps a criminal charge? Sure money hurts but jail is worse.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.