Thread: Linux Flavor - Serving environment

Linux Flavor - Serving environment

Which flavor of linux should I use for this machine? I will be using it as a web server, mail server and ftp server. Which flavor would be more efficient?
    MySig != Worth your time

All are going to be about the same, depending on your skill as an administrator. Debian has the best security record for a default install, although I doubt this is going to be default.

I would reccommend SuSE, just because of the YaST configuration utility. I really liked YaST. I would stay away from RedHat, just because I took their changes in the desktop line somewhat personally.

I use FreeBSD 4.9 for my server right now.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Pardon my inadequate knowledge. But what is YaST? Meanwhile, i shall google it.
    MySig != Worth your time

Sorry for being vague, YaST is a graphical configuration utility that comes with SuSE. From one place you have the ability to easily configure everything on the computer.

BTW I gave greenies for going to google to try to find out for yourself.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

From what I have read, YaST is a SuSE linux configuration tool. It provides a graphical installation environment which will configure the system, security settings, internet connection, and most peripheral devices. With the latest YaST, networking linux and windows computers becomes simple. It even allows for atomic clock synchronization.

The YaST Online Update tool can perform system maintenance and even optimization. It is free and makes it so your system is stable and secure whenever you need it to be.

As a wise man once said:

Ah, the power of google.
    MySig != Worth your time