Thread: ping flood

ping flood

when you ping flood someone elses computer, what is the effect? how do you ping flood?

AntiOnline n00b
    when you ping flood someone elses computer
    When you are very very...pisssseddd with some one, lol and probabely want to go to jail if caught.

It is a form of Denial of Service (DoS) attacks that make use of ICMP messages. In this Attacker simply sends a huge number of "ICMP Echo Requests" to the victim. and overload his/her network .Ping Flood attacks attempt to saturate a network by sending a continuous series of ICMP echo requests (pings) over a high-bandwidth connection to a target host on a lower-bandwidth. Since it tends to overload network links so it as harmful to the Attacker as to the Victim until the Attacker has Much Much Much... Faster link than the victim.

what is the effect
    The Victims Computer Generally hangs due to the lack of bandwith. Dial-up will probably die, if it's not dead already. If you have a slow, dialup connection, like mine there isn't much you can do except hang-up and reconnect with a different IP address. Otherwise filtering the incoming packets will help.

how do you ping flood?
    There are various ScriptKidde Tools availabe to do it.

i just wnt to ping someone in the network. what is the DOS command for that?

Hmm... that is a tough one....

Lets consult the all mighty google gods.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...F-8&q=DOS+ping

Hmm... wonder what is in that first link?! Can it be!?!?! Oh my... its the dos command for ping!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

ping MachineName/IP address
    \"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.\"
    A. Sachs

AntiOnline n00b
    hi

i just wnt to ping someone in the network. what is the DOS command for that?
    What... you said Ping Attack. okay the ping command for DOS is well PING

Ok a very good way of getting info about command in DOS is to type the comman with
    "Command /?" or "/help" for example ping at the command Prompt type

ping /?

it will give you the syntaxt as wlee as all the options that can be used with this command

--Good Luck--

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Swordfish:

Otherwise filtering the incoming packets will help
    Actually it won't. There are 2 kinds of DoS attack:-

1. Brute force Bandwidth eater
    2. More subtle Service denyer

The second relies upon an exploitable weakness in the code of a service being attacked that either causes the service to fall flat on it's face or cause it to use up so much processor time with each request that valid requests can no longer be answered. Filtering these packets with a software firewall before they get to the vulnerable service will alleviate this DoS.

The first type of DoS is based on a simple equation. If my bandwidth is capable of sending 1000 packets a second and your bandwidth is only capable of receiving 100 packets a second then if I throw 500 packets a second at your machine it can't communicate with anyone else because the "pipe" is already full with my incoming requests. You can filter all you like at your machine but the pipe leading to it remains full. The only change is that you are dropping the packets before they reach the service that would receive them. The pipe is still so full that other inbound or outbound traffic cannot pass. A ping flood is this type of DoS.

High bandwidth is the reason for the popularity of DDoS, (Distributed Denial of Service), since more people have bigger pipes these days, (Cable/DSL), it costs much more to get a bigger "pipe" than the target has and most people can't afford a full T3 - So they improvise. If the target can receive 10,000 packets a second and your can only transmit your 1000/sec then you aren't going to DoS the target. But if you can take control of nine other machines that can transmit 1000/sec and set them all going at the same time then you are effectively using a t3. The accumulated packets/sec total the maximum the target can receive so the target is functionally denied service.

DDoS has also led to RDDoS, (Reflected Distributed Denial of Service), which has two purposes. It better hides the attacking machines and it allows a few machines to amplify their effect by using other machines that aren't even compromised and the administrators of those machines may not even notice the small addition to their traffic. An RDDoS relies upon the three way handshake that goes between two computers who want to talk to each other via TCP. By having a few computers send larger amounts of SYN packets to the intermediate targets with the source IP spoofed to be that of the primary target then the intermediate targets have to send a SYN/ACK to the apparent source, (the primary target). So if one of my 100 drones sends out 100 packets per second to it's 10 intermediate targets spoofed to the primary target then the intermediate targets will send their SYN/ACKs to the primary target. The big benefit here is that TCP is a "safe" protocol and since the primary target should not respond to the unsolicited SYN/ACK the intermediate targets will send 3 or 4 SYN/ACKs to the primary target. You can see that 100 or so drones using 50-100 intermediate targets would soon have an overwhelming effect on the primary target. Further benefit - your drones remain hidden because the packets appear to be coming from the intermediate targets and no record of the actual drones ever reaches the primary target or the intermediates, (the source is spoofed).
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Banned
    How about various forms of buffer overflows. If there is no command execution the programs are still likely to eventually crash. Also if you count unpluging or cutting someone's line directly a DoS.

Originally posted here by Amplifiedgirl
    how do you ping flood?
    Maybe you should find alot of computers then force them to run something like this:
    Ping.exe -t -l 916 www.antionline.com
    What you have basicly said here was "I don't know what it is or what it does but I'd sure like to know how its done".

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Spec:

How about various forms of buffer overflows. If there is no command execution the programs are still likely to eventually crash.
    That's the second DoS I discussed. Your buffer overflow is my "exploitable weakness in the code of a service".

Also if you count unpluging or cutting someone's line directly a DoS.
    Hmmm.... If we are going that far let's cause a blackout to the entire city the target lives in..... That'll deny them service..... Hell, let's go all the way and drop a small atomic weapon 50 miles from the target. The EMP will wipe them out too.....

Yep.... That's DENIAL of SERVICE.....<LOL>
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Yeah man there is this new DoS I have heard of, the skiddies call it nuclear. Yeah see what you do is you drop a nuke so the very epicenter is right over the computer of your choice. Man that is a good cracking job tha would shut SCO up for a day or two.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-