Thread: Access Denied on my own System...

Access Denied on my own System...

Hello... I have a serius problem with windows xp (sp1) (in c:\ partition)
    I have a directory named backup on another partition (d with ...valuable for me stuff. I tried from the Directory's Properties to "encrypt" the directory. Nothing happened, I ignore it.
    But a problem with xp yesterday forced me to format c:\ but d:\ kept untouched.
    Now, with the same windows xp from the same cd i cannot see my backup folder!!! There is a message: Access Denied.
    What I can do for this ?
    I already try Advanced EFS Recovery but it doesnt finds any keys for the folder (it is very common because c:\ was formatted) and I also tried to convert d: from ntfs to fat32 via partition magic but i cant because partition magic crashes with an error message like: there is encrypted data on this partition. this data will be loss.
    I dont know what to do with my data.... Any Ideas? I am really desperate...

Since you are admin, right click on file, goto the security tab.

Take ownership, and give the admin full control of the folder.

Edit: Thats right... I didn't see the encrypted part. Tiger is right (below). If you didn't export the key... then you're SOL.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    IIRC there is nothing much you can do. I beleive you were advised to export the key when you created the EFS folder just in case this situation arose. If you didn't do so there isn't anything you can do that won't take 100 years.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

umm your probably sol.....you can setup a recovery admin in xp that should be able to recover with out the key...but i don' think that will work on a seperate instance of xp and becuse you reinstalled i think its considered a seperate instance.......whats the quote "you never relise how good your lock is untill you lose the key"
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

\"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    IIRC there is nothing much you can do. I beleive you were advised to export the key when you created the EFS folder just in case this situation arose. If you didn't do so there isn't anything you can do that won't take 100 years.
    Yea, this is right. If you didn't export the key, then I don't think there is nothing you can do to get your folder back. Just a word of advice for the future:

Have you ever heard of ZipDisks? Basically, they can store like.. loads of MB of files onto one disk. Now you could back up your entire computer daily if you wanted to, or just keep files like the folder you had handy. All you would have to do is whenever you made a change to the folder, back it up to the ZipDisk. Problem solved, but sorry about your mishap.