Thread: why!!! So much infected!!!!

why!!! So much infected!!!!

I'm scanning a network drive that one of our users use here at work, and I'm absolutely amazed at the number of viruses found.

Check out the pic.
    =

Holy ****
    that is alot of files infected Hope it hasn't caused too much damage

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Stupidity reigns supreme?? Check to see if the user disabled their AV software.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

well we have AV software on all computers, and it was enabled, but they never ran updates. lol

Its part my fault to though for not having a AV sitting on the server scanning all the files.

Good thing they were just document viruses and not actual harmful viruses. lol
    =

You CAN'T leave it up to the users to run updates. It won't happen. You shouldn't trust them to do it.

You CAN put a corp AV solution.

I use Norton AV Corp. It automatically pushes out the updates to each client daily.

Next time... you may not be so "lucky".
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

how does that work phish?

I install NAV coroporate on a server then it installs updates and updates the clients later?

I ran a virus checker on the other server and found 5300 viruses of the same type.

Never again.
    =

Quick and dirty instructions:

You install norton AV corp on a server. (I use a dedicated server for this)

Then you install a client on each PC. Modify the settings to suit you best.

Set the server to download updates daily or whatever you want.

The server will push the defs out to the clients automagically!

Scheduele nightly scans of servers.
    (or when the server(s) are in least likely to have a high load)

This can really fubar your logs if you scan over the network (access files audited)... so install client, but disable real time scanning (real time scanning is still done on user's client side) and schedule a local nightly scan.

All viruses found will log on the server. You can also have the Corp AV server email you if and when a virus is found. Details are pretty decent and I have not had an infection in years. Well, we've had viruses from floppy, but quarantines/repaired/deleted.

Users can't disable it or uninstall it without a password and admin privledges.

For more info check out http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.c...?ProductID=155

Make sure you have your incoming mail scanned for viruses too. Since I don't run my own external mail server. (risks, plus small user base, I have our email provider scan/filter spam and viruses. less headace for a SMALL IT team)

We had that beagle virus come through our external mail on one client. They didn't have a method to scan that because of the encryption/password. They fixed this quickly and we had the client side for backup.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hey Hey,

That's a fair number of Virii, however I've seen that beat twice in the last month. I'm convinced that users are complete idiots and we should startr licensing computer usage. I saw a 2800 and a 3800. I've also seen several others in the 1000s. Unfortunately students bring their own computers into res. so we have to rely on them to provide AV solutions. We have an eTrust liscense and also AVG available, but most of them are too lazy to come down and sign out a copy to install, hell we'll even install it for them. We had someone bring in a computer tonight, wasn't bad *sarcasm*... only around 500 virii. She knew she didn't have AV and she didn't care, she still downloaded everything and anything.

If you go the corporate way, do NOT... and I mean do NOT go with CA's eTrust. It's absoluately horrid software. We had NAV Corporate until last year, when a few people became buddy buddy with CA and now we're stuck with their crap (although price was also an issue from what I've heard). Anyways the eTrust software is absoluately horrid. I hear nothing but bad things from the people maintaining it and I see the results from people using it. It's almost as bad as McAfee.

Peace,
    HT