Thread: Hit by 6 virus in a single day

First from this address "guruselvaraj@rediffmail.com"
    File name: my_details.pif
    File type: application/octet-stream
    Scan result: Virus "W32.Netsky.D@mm"

Second from "riefzj556318000lriip0@yahoo.com "
    File name: your_document.pif
    Scan result: Virus "W32.Netsky.D@mm" found.

Third from nicenet@vsnl.com
    File name: your_product.pif

Fourth From chandramouleeswarank@yahoo.com
    File name: your_archive.pif

Fifth from chandramouleeswarank@yahoo.com
    File name: your_archive.pif

Sixth from skrishnamachary@hotmail.com
    File name: application.pif
    This is the second time I have been hit by the same virus but not at the same time should I drop my email address if not what should i do?

And others dont open any mail from these addresses.
    Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

Question How do you get hit six times in one day?

How about reporting it to your ISP. Contact spam@yourisp.com or abuse@yourisp.com also this_is_spam@yourisp.com (this_is_spam) make sure you have antivirus fully updated and your firewall running also make sure to delete any messages sitting in the outbox, inbox, sent box etc... Hope this helps User

yeah. theres been a lot of viruses going around lately. my schools been infected with w32.bugbear.
    +++++++-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+ +-+-+-++++
    +|p|h|a|s|e| |o|n|e| |r|e|t|a|l|i|a|t|i|o|n|++
    +++++++-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-++

Good idea to report it to your ISP.
    Include the header information, which will help to establish whether or not the From: addresses were forged.

Like most people here, I have more than one email account.
    If one of them attracts a lot of spam or viruses then I bin it.

What I do for my main personal account is to be very restrictive as to who I give details to, because normally the spam & virus attacks happen because someone you have given your details to has an infected PC.

So the approach I use is that when signing up for a forum like this I use one of my disposable ones, just in case it gets disclosed to the rest of the world.
    Which incidentally, hasn't happened with this forum, unlike others I could mention ...

I used outlook a couple years ago didn't have any problems.. I'm glad Im still not with that isp otherwise idda went thru some hell it sounds like....

I hate virus scanners.

Like most people here, I have more than one email account.
    If one of them attracts a lot of spam or viruses then I bin it.
    Thats something that I do to. One of my addresses are public and the other one is private. My public one I give out to whomever wants it and its the one I use to signup to forums and websites. Where as my private one is the one that only my friends and family know. This reduces spam a lot!

Another good way protecting yourself is to avoid chain mail, as hundreds of people will see your address all around the world. Chain mails is like a gold mine for spammers.
    -HDD

Hotmail has been a prime spot for these emails.. I've gotten loads, but they've blocked the attachments

Scans the following file types on drives C through Z for email addresses:

.dhtm
    .cgi
    .shtm
    .msg
    .oft
    .sht
    .dbx
    .tbb
    .adb
    .doc
    .wab
    .asp
    .uin
    .rtf
    .vbs
    .html
    .htm
    .pl
    .php
    .txt
    .eml
    and then
    Uses its own SMTP engine to send itself to the email addresses it found above, sending to each address once. The worm uses the local DNS server (retrieved via an API), if available, to perform an MX lookup for the recipient address. If the local DNS fails, it will perform the lookup from the following list of hard-coded servers:

in other words reporting the emails to your ISP will be next to useless.. most wont give a rip and the above is the reason ..they have to think..

I have a friend that forwards emails to lists.. you know the ones that end with "Mail this to 10 of your friends in the next 5 mins or your **** will shrink and fall off".
    She has recieved it from one of 5 ppl that do the same thing.. and at least 2 of the people on her list do the same thing..(I've told them to F off as I was on their list as well).. with each forwarding that list in the CC or BCC list gets larger..
    One of the emails I recieved from my friend I was able to pull just over 300 addresses.. so a virus in my machine will have 300+ possable from names to spoof on the email.. oh as well as god knows how many others from the other emails..

Solution:

Changing your email addy COULD be a good short term fix to the problem.. as is having the throw away addy's.. your best bet is to tell your friends that insist on forwarding the crap to take you off their Lists.. then any of the many reciepients of their forwarded crap can't have a virus send itself to you.. because your email addy isn't on the list.. oh and no one can blame you for sending them Virii either..can they..

Cheers

/Edit:

6 in one day.. your lucky.. I delete (on the ISP's Server) some 15 to 20 emails a day that look like Spam or Virii .. get yaself something like Mailinspector 2000.. but if you are using MSN/Hotmail/Yahoo etc as you mail servers.. don't bother.. they are spam magnets..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Dood, its very important to update your virus scanners with the latest definition files.
    Because there are so many virus's going around new and improved and causing alot damage.
    Virus's have the tendancy to not make alot of noise these days. They will smothly sneak by your scanner and starting eating away at your HDD, so it is very impartive that you update your definiton file. And update your scanners as well.
    \"If knowledge is power. Why doesn\'t everybody read?\"

Just a thought.. You said HIT by these virii.. I read that As Infected, and I am sure others would as well

What I read was it was stopped by the AV.. Is this right? If so You were not HIT ie Infected.. just recieved the package's The Question and there for the purpose of your Post was .. "Should I continue using my current email Addy in light of the number of spammed emails I am recieving?".. Answer NO.. wait untill it reaches 2 or 5 hundred per day.. in the inerim follow my previous advice..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr