Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big brother wants more eyes....

Old Fart

Big brother wants more eyes....

Scary **** found here

A far-reaching proposal from the FBI, made public Friday, would require all broadband Internet providers, including cable modem and DSL companies, to rewire their networks to support easy wiretapping by police.
    Legal experts said the 85-page filing includes language that could be interpreted as forcing companies to build back doors into everything from instant messaging and voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) programs to Microsoft's Xbox Live game service. The introduction of new services that did not support a back door for police would be outlawed, and companies would be given 15 months to make sure that existing services comply.
    This is the kind of **** that made me leave the (insert shame here) republican party.

Baker agrees that the FBI's proposal means that IP-based services such as chat programs and videoconferencing "that are 'switched' in any fashion would be treated as telephony." If the FCC agrees, Baker said, "you would have to vet your designs with law enforcement before providing your service. There will be a queue. There will be politics involved. It would completely change the way services are introduced on the Internet."
    So now Uncle Sam wants to have the power to control what can be developed and released. I went to sleep last night in Kentucky and somehow today I woke up 40 years in the past in the heart of "Mother Russia"....anyone know where I left my passport? I think I may be needing it soon.

/edit
    BTW...WE are the ones who get to pay for its implementation...

Under the FBI's proposal, Internet companies would bear "sole financial responsibility for development and implementation of CALEA solutions" but would be authorized to raise prices to cover their costs.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Banned
    **** that

Can't we all just get along, drink , maybe smoke a bong?

Humm for some reason the words : " Clipper" , "Carnivore" and "Green Lantern" are all starting to ring in my head once again.

Good thing I live in Canada. I was thinking of moving down to the states. Guess I just might be having a change of mind.

as forcing companies to build back doors into everything from instant messaging and voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) programs to Microsoft's Xbox Live game service.
    Just wondering :

What do they expect to do once malicious crackers find some of the backdoors ?

How do they expect to regulate who will have access to the backdoors ?

What happens if a foreign spy gets a hold of detailed info on how to connect / use the backdoors ?

Just imagine the field day that some of these guys would have. 'Cause I sure can ....

So now Uncle Sam wants to have the power to control what can be developed and released.
    Maybe technology is starting to become harder to crack so Uncle Sam doesn't have all the man power and resources to break everything part ? By having a back door everything is symplified .....

Nice post though AllenB
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

I currently live in the UK, so that **** is probably gonna hit me too in a few months or so. The laws here are so broad, they can get you under anything.

One question remains: What can one do against that?

Action DOES speak louder than words...
    -Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate-

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Can anyone say...... Encrypted tunnel..... VPN..... SSH..... Steganography......

Another example of the Gubmint coming up with wild assed ideas that won't work and will be got around in minutes, that they don't have to pay for so we will be saddled with another expense that is getting nobody anything beneficial 'cos the crooks will tunnel straight through it...... What will they do next? Outlaw VPN's and encryption...... That'll help business!!!!!!!

Someone need to convince these idiots in Disneyland on the Potomac that there is nothing they can do with their limited knowledge of technology that the people they are trying to get to can't circumvent with a single brain cell's power......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

this is just a taste of what we're in for if palladium gets up and going ...
    \"If money could talk it would say goodbye\"
    -Anon

damn. that is pretty scary. its bound to happen though.
    +++++++-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+ +-+-+-++++
    +|p|h|a|s|e| |o|n|e| |r|e|t|a|l|i|a|t|i|o|n|++
    +++++++-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-++

GRRRRR... I knew this homeland security act would end up being an open ticket for whatever the government wanted to do.. it's true, our freedoms are quickly eroding away.

Doesn't this violate some kind of law? :-/ I hope it does, this is an invasion of privacy. Although I live in a poor country my DSL provider is a company in NY so it should get here pretty quick. But even if I happen to get arrested (which I highly doubt because of the fact that I do nothing illegal :-/) I can bail myself out pretty quickly because of the fact they don't arrest for bribery here instead they encourge it. So I'll just give the police some money and I'm home free.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

good article allen! glad to see someone hasnt gotten tired or hearing about it.

if you remember the TIA (Total Information Awareness) you know it was supposed to be quashed. well it hasn't. its now called "ARDA", "MATRIX" and a few other IMO ill-eagle programs.And this plan is yet another extention of it.

http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0..._story_related

WASHINGTON -- The government is still financing research to create powerful tools that could mine millions of public and private records for information about terrorists despite an uproar last year over fears it might ensnare innocent Americans.

Congress prevented the Pentagon from developing the terrorist tracking technology because of the outcry over privacy implications. But some of those projects from retired Adm. John Poindexter's Total Information Awareness effort were transferred to U.S. intelligence offices, according to congressional, federal and research officials.

In addition, Congress left undisturbed a separate but similar $64 million research program run by a little-known office called the Advanced Research and Development Activity, or ARDA, that has used some of the same researchers as Poindexter's program.

"The whole congressional action looks like a shell game," said Steve Aftergood of the Federation of American Scientists, which tracks work by U.S. intelligence agencies. "There may be enough of a difference for them to claim TIA was terminated while for all practical purposes the identical work is continuing."

http://www.sltrib.com/2004/Mar/03112004/utah/146669.asp

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

"When you start collecting information on people who have done nothing wrong, it's the first step toward treating every American like they could be a criminal," said Chris Calbrese, a New York City-based attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).

Billions of records: The trouble with MATRIX, said Calbrese, is the volume of data it contains, much of which was purchased unbeknown to states by Seisint Inc. Seisint is the Florida information-technology company that developed the idea for MATRIX and landed a $1.6 million contract with that state's Department of Law Enforcement to pilot it.

"We've always known the database contained billions of records," Calbrese said, "but we weren't aware of the breadth" until the new release of Utah records highlighting Seisint's data inventory. That data include four states' criminal histories, 33 states' correctional data, sexual-offender lists from 27 states, driver licenses from 15 states and motor-vehicle registrations from 13.

"We're probably talking about 90 percent of the country," said Calbrese.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

so apparantly it doesn't matter what anybody wants or how hard any of our reps try and stop it. this is what their intend to do like it or not.

Allen this is not the doing of ONLY the republican party. it was clinton that instituted ITS or the Intelligent Transportation System intended to "monitor" the security of our nations hyways by tracking the coming and going of every car and truck on it.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”