Thread: Various Questions/Rants from an expert newbie

Various Questions/Rants from an expert newbie

I've been usin comps for so long, I'm just a moron for not reading anything.
    Anyways, lately we've been having problems with our network, it could be on of many things..

1) Two wireless routers in the same house, one mac one linky, I've been against it all along but I can't do a thing. Who knows maybe it's not a prob.

2) Until yesterday I download constantly with the ports 6899 - 6999 forwarded and every once in a while ( At least 2 days ) the router would take a rest and assign us all an addy like 169.172.blah blah....worthless until you reset the router. This really bugs my family so I am now unable to download from my favorite source.

3) Lack of knowledge. 3 months ago my dad stressed not to install SP1 but I did because everyone on some forums said it was good, ended up giving me various services that should not have came up, mostly NT exploits I'm assuming..?

Oh yeah this is anothaa factor, my dad wont listen to my opinions tho.
    1.Wireless Linky 4 port with JUST my aunt plugged in for her lappy.
    Then we have a linky switch that everyone else is plugged into.... another wireless router for gods sake, and he blames it on me...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Thread moved from Newbie Security to General Chit Chat as this is more networking than a security issue:

Two wireless routers in the same house, one mac one linky, I've been against it all along
    Generally shouldn't be a problem unless they are sharing out the same DHCP address scheme. How exactly is it setup? (e.g., Internet ---> router ---> router ---> Lan?)

the router would take a rest and assign us all an addy like 169.172.blah blah
    Given that you haven't indicated what your desktop OS is but you've indicated you've wanted to install SP1, I'm going to assume this is a Windows machine. When Windows cannot get an IP address, it will use the 169.172.x.x default. I believe MacOS does this as well.

Lack of knowledge. 3 months ago my dad stressed not to install SP1 but I did because everyone on some forums said it was good, ended up giving me various services that should not have came up, mostly NT exploits I'm assuming..?
    Any services that may have inadvertantly started can be permanently stopped. Look through the Microsoft Security Section and Security Tutorials.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

"Any services that may have inadvertantly started can be permanently stopped. Look through the Microsoft Security Section and Security Tutorials"

That's pretty sad... Anyways

It is setup ADSL -> wiresless linky -> linky switch -> 3 window comps + 1 Airport

I'm not exactly sure if we're sharing the same dhcp but if that was the case it would be a little more consistint rite? I'll find out.

What is your advice on SP1? I was a hater, then got sucked in by a forum, and it turned out real bad because I didn't stay on top of the services / spyware etc, I figured I'd be ok. LOL never again..

You don't think the multiple devices causes any problems?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

When there is more than one router on the connection, some problems can arise.

On my network it's:

DSL --> router ----> wireless router-->computers

the first router is for my neighbors computers, it pulls DHCP from the ISP, my router had to be configured manually. I had to put in the DNS servers, and assign it a gateway and a new IP address. Not too difficult of course...

In your situation, I am confused as to why you're using the airport? The Mac should be able to run off of the Linksys AP.

Yeah MsMittens, Windows and Mac's (most Mac's anyways) should both default to Automatic Private Address ie the 169.172.x.x .Maybe one of our Mac users can confirm this for me.

As far as SP1, I cannot stress the importance of staying current with updates.

As far as fixing your problem, assign static IP's to all of the machines, and configure them each for the specific gateway they are to use, this includes the routers.

Example:

My laptop has the IP 192.168.1.122
    DNS 4.2.2.4
    DNS 4.2.2.5
    DNS 4.2.2.5
    DG: 192.168.1.121 (router's IP)

Router:
    Same DNS, different gateway 192.168.1.1 (neighbor's router)

Make sure that you do not have more than one DHCP server (built into router) reaching each machine.

Sorry if that's confusing, I just woke up.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

I have SP1 for XP, running on all my computers, and have never had a problem with it.

To me it looks like you got to many routers going.

All you should need is the wireless, router and the linksys switch. But if your wireless router is a DHCP server, and its plugged into your switch, you need to make sure that the linksys DHCP server is disabled.

And since everyone is diagramming there setup heres mine. lol

DSL-->Linksys 4 port router-->4 computers

The linksys router I have acting as a DHCP.
    =