Thread: Stealing the Network: How to Own the Box

Stealing the Network: How to Own the Box

This is one of the most intriguing books I have ever read. The book consists of about 9 stories, that while having fictional characters, contains real world situations of various aspects of Hacking. Each character has their own techniques and mindset, both of which are presented to the reader to make the book truly entertaining. While it's a fiction, the scenarios of exploitation, intrusion, social engineering, espionage, etc are all possible and do happen. This book is for both the experienced, and the beginner, despite having some situations and terms that the beginner may not know off hand. It's great for the person that may be having a problem trying to piece together the anatomy of a hack. This book filled some of the gaps that I've had through my learning. GREAT read! I recommend it to everybody!

Stealing the Network: How to Own the Box.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm.. I've seen the book and have been considering getting it. Interesting. Is it anything like Hacker Challenge (1 and/or 2)?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hacker challenge was waste of money for me. If it is like that I would rather keep my purse shut.

Looks like a great book, im going to go buy it.

I would also like to recogmend "The Art of Deception" by Kevin Mitnick...this book is the Bible of social engineering. Mitnick goes indepth on a number of social engineering exploits and also gives suggestions on how to harden your network against these attacks.

Remember...knowledge is power.
    Malefactoris vester ante accedo...
    ~Arcani

I think "Stealing The Network: How To Own The Box" is a great read. I've read it a least 4 times. Very good when you just feel like relaxing and having a good read.
    I would also recommend going to the following website.
    http://www.blackhat.com since many of the contributors to that book participate in many conferences and they also a lot of their work posted on this site. If you wanna learn a bit of more about security I would suggest that you download all the files that you can off this site.

If you are the type who wants to to understand how hackers really hack . Then I would suggest going to this site.

http://www.hackingexposed.com

These are a series of books which are really great to read.

I got a special edition of this free with a magazine, With chapter 2 and 10. From what i read it was awesome, i will be getting the full book as soon as posiable. If you want to get a insight into the computer security industy, this contains some great mini storys that will entertain anyone into computer security.
    All your node are belong to us.

I would also like to recogmend "The Art of Deception" by Kevin Mitnick...this book is the Bible of social engineering. Mitnick goes indepth on a number of social engineering exploits and also gives suggestions on how to harden your network against these attacks.
    I had downloaded it from the internet a while ago.
    I found it a piece of crap. I've never searched for info about social engineering and everything what's in it I knew by yourself. There's no such thing as "learning social engineering", it is something you are either capable of or not. If you read one 3 page text somewhere on the internet about social engineering you know everything there is to learn about social engineering...the rest comes from your own brain.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com