Thread: More strange boot problems....

More strange boot problems....

I had XP Pro on an old computer that needed upgrading, so I removed the hdd that had xp on it, moved it to a more upgraded computer, and i was locked out of the drive with a blue error screen, yet when i put it back in the old machine, it worked fine. It seems to me that XP is stubborn about hardware changes, mabey Im wrong, but is there a way to make the old drive work on the newer computer without having to contending with the tedious task of file transfer from the old drive to a new blank drive?

Damn I hope that all made sense.....
    In silence man can most readily preserve his integrity

with xp you can't just take the drive out and stick it in another box.

well, sometimes you can if the motherboard chipsets are the same.

here are two links that pretty much describe the same method of moving a drive to a new mobo even if the chipsets are different..it should work for you. I would follow the instructions to the letter. I've known folks who've just moved the drive and weren't able to recover even after putting the drive back in the original box.. they had to reload xp..

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xpfrm.html

http://www.theeldergeek.com/replace_motherboard.htm

edit : I should add that you'll probably want to back up your WPA file so that you won't need to activate again.. read this page.

If your new motherboard is different and needs new drivers for USB, PCI bus, AGP etc. then you have no chance, as the only easy way to install them is a fresh install of WinXP.
    Installing most drivers requires a reboot, so this is very difficult to do on your original setup. It's possible, but I wouldn't recommend it, as you have to be very sure about what you are doing.

This isn't really a WinXP problem - it would fail on most OSs, as to use an analogy you are speaking in French to the motherboard, whereas it only understands English

You can backup the WPA file if you don't want to go through that process again.

check out those links darkes.. I betcha the method works.. I haven't done it myself but I do know two guys that did.