Thread: How to make money using open source

How to make money using open source

Hi guys,
    How do people make money from open source software ? How do I invlove myself in the open source community, make money, and get recognition to get more projects I can do ?
    If anyone is ready with some projects and need some help, I'm ready to do it provided you pay for it.
    I'm doing this to get to know how all the open source stuff are beneficial to people

Cheers!!
    mirmir

Dead Man Walking
    Open source isnt really about the money AFAIK. Its more about the philosophy of freedom of information and all that good stuff. If you want big bucks for writing sodtware then go program for windows. About the only way to make money on an open source project is 1 sell cd-roms of software at a reasonable cost 2 provide tech support for your product. Other than that it kind of defeats the idea behind open source.

I would also like to know if there are sites where I can do such jobs.
    mirmir

Hi ZomBieMann77,
    I know that I cannot charge money for my creation.
    I just wanted to know how I provide support for my product,
    and how people would know that they should come to me to get
    support. How can I expect that they would come to me for support
    mirmir

Dead Man Walking
    first things first. Find a need. Come up with a project that you think the world needs or would use. Then develop it. Write the code etc etc. Then "publish" it by posting it to various forums and anyother way you can thinkn of to get the word out. As far as how people would know that they should come to you for support you could do that any numer of ways. Put a splash screen on the proggie ( if its GUI based) with "for support contact you@youremail.com."
    Also youve asked about sites for stuff like this. i dont personaly know any but you dont have to wait for linus torvaldus or however its spelled to call you up and say "hey write this proggie". Thats the beuty of open source. Anybody can develop apps for it. You want recogniton the write good solid programs with clean code and be able to take critisicm on stuff you put out.