Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm having some problems with my adsl...

I'm having some problems with my adsl...

A few days a go I was using the computer as I normally do, and I try to connect to an IRC server and I get an error message saying "Buffer Overspace" or something similar. I don't pay much attention and forget about it till I notice I can't connect to anything else, I restart my ADSL modem and still when I restart it fixes but then happens again a few mins later. One day I start up my computer without the ADSL Modem on and when I turn it on all works well..so today I did that suspecting that I probably have some spyware or something installed on my computer and since it couldn't detect a connection last time something happened etc. but instead I get that message AND get disconnected from everything I was connected too already which hasn't already happened. Then I restart and run search and destroy, cwshredder, & hijackthis. Nothing really suspicious. Any help on what I should do? Thanks for your time.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Run a virus scan, and if that doesn't do anything, then I would contact your ISP.
    =

Does your ADSL use any software to connect? Does it go directly into your NIC or USB? It would be nice if we could actually get the real error message.

If your using software provided by your ISP to connect, the problem could be there.

I did an AV scan, returned nothing, can't call the ISP cuz they are more computer illerterate than most people i know. It does not use any software to connect, connected to the USB and that's pretty much the error message. All it's really saying is that it doesn't have anymore buffer space to connect :-/.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

sounds like a winsock implementation was unable to allocate memory for whatever it is that your system requested. My best bet is that it started with mirc.exe and either you tried to run to many processes at once or you just got some corrupted connection(). I would try to monitor how your memory is being allocated, or at this point just do a clean format of the disk.

happened to me once after installing some software. then conecting to mirc it gave me the same error you are receiving (the first time I received such error message). So I seeked professional help from someone and told me it has to do something with the memory. think amnesiac is right. youre system is pilling up a lot of programs i guess.

Well, it might be a memory problem but at the moment i disable tiny personal firewall because that was the last program i installed just before this started occuring, and I've been using it for about 2 hours straight so let's see how that goes.

Well, after about 2-3 good hours with the firewall disabled, I eventually got disconnected again. Can someone please help me fix the memory problem please? Thanks in advanced.

BANNED
    Just a tip but when I'm having problems with my cable connection if I call my isp and can't get any help out of them I ask to speak to the people who take care of their computers and they send me up to the next level.
    I was having problems with my cable when i first installed linux. They said they didn't support linux so I asked to speak to their supervisors and they helped me out superbly.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Originally posted here by muert0
    Just a tip but when I'm having problems with my cable connection if I call my isp and can't get any help out of them I ask to speak to the people who take care of their computers and they send me up to the next level.
    I was having problems with my cable when i first installed linux. They said they didn't support linux so I asked to speak to their supervisors and they helped me out superbly.
    Hey Hey,

Most of the places I've dealt with, or that I've had friends work at had 3 levels of support. The first level is where the idiots worked. We had a call center here refuse to take a few of the co-op students because they had to start at Level 1, but had too much knowledge. They were overqualified, and a lot of our students are complete idiots. Then there's Level 2, most of the time these are the guys I speak to. They have a college diploma or equivalent work experience, instead of just being off the street. Always ask to talk to one of these guys, they're great to deal with. Then there's Level 3. A buddy of mine worked at a call center that had like 2 of these guys and that was it. They're the ubergeeks heh.... IT support for the IT support for the IT Support. I've never had to speak to one, but maybe one day.

Peace,
    HT