Thread: hooking two HDS up?

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar

hooking two HDS up?

I have an extra Harddrive sitting at home and I was wondering how to hook it up to my computer tower. I looked up on google and found a bunch of stuff but none really helped me. Some you need Raid or something like this. Can you guys help me? You need to have the OS on the second drive, right?

Well the first thing you need to have is a dual IDE cable, check the jumper settings on the hardrive and make sure it is set as a slave or you may have to leave it out . one other thing to be sure to check is that the IDE cable is facing the right way on some IDE cables it has a notch on it so it will go in only one way if it doesn't look for a red stripe running the entire length of the cable that should be on the side closest to where your power connector is. and you don't need to have the O.S installed on the drive to use it.

I tried this before but it wouldn't show up in "my computer". Should I try it again or do I need to set it up?

Did you check the jumper settings on both HD's?

Also once you turn on your computer go into the BIOS and see if the BIOS sees the second drive.

To enter the BIOS you usally press DEL, F10, or F12 when the comptuer starts up.
    =

AntiOnline n00b
    hi kurt_der_koenig

Some you need Raid or something like this.
    no raid is a completely different thind. it is used for data duplication.

You need to have the OS on the second drive, right?
    No really, as DeadAddict and cheyenne1212 said you would need dual IDE cable. there are two ports on the motherbord one Primary and Secondry(and one floppy port...) you should see two data cables coming from them ,.... one of them should be attached to your current hard drive. actually two devices can be attached on each one of them one has be a Master other Slave(e.g Primary Master and Primary Slave )..... If this cable attached to your current hard Drive is not attached to any other device(eg. CD-Rom etc.) you can Attach your hard Dist to it , Make Sure You make this Second Hard Disk Primary Slave in this case(whick hardisk are you using,.... in segate hard disk that i generally use if you remove all the Jumpers it makes it a Slave, the Jumper Setting is printed on the hardisk so set the jumpers appropriately) . If you have selected AutoDetact in the BIOS then this New Hard Drive Will be Automatecally be detected other wise you will have to go to BIOS and manually Detect this hard Disk there.

--Good Luck--

Thanx

DeadAddict
    cheyenne1212
    SwordFish_13

Is there a formatted partition on the second hard drive? If not it won't show in My Computer even though it is in the BIOS.

If you're using 2000 or XP you can go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management. This will show the drives and partitions and allow you to format if you need to.

Hope this helps
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Thanx-everything works now. I must have hooked it up wrong the first time!
    Anybody have a conversion chart for bytes-mb-gigs?