Thread: UK to tighten law on hacking ???

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar

Unhappy UK to tighten law on hacking ???

edit< I'm not certain if this is the right place to post this ? > end edit

This from the UK.

quote "MPs have decided to take another look at the legislation used to
    prosecute people who hack, scramble and generally misuse computers.
    And about time too.

When was the last time you saw a hacker get the sort of sentence they
    deserve for their actions? When was the last time you even heard about
    a big time hacker or virus writer getting caught at all?

Perhaps that's the bigger problem. It's all very well having a nice
    tight law ready for when you get these people in the dock, but how do
    you get them there in the first place?" unquote

MPs take fresh look at hacking legislation
    ------------------------------------------
    Parliamentary group calls for updating of Computer Misuse Act
    http://mail.vnunet.com/cgi-bin1/flo/...uw0HXw0CJQJ0Ad

Me, I'm espescially interested in the "GREY AREA'S". And as for ' A nice tight law' ? when was there ever a law implemented that was without 'Loopholes'. (the paydirt for the solicitor's)
    This, at first glance appears to be the UK's version (virus?) of what the Americans are going through?
    The nicest thing about this is the link title, HaxXo0R programmer with a sense of humour ???
    edit < belay that, the link didn't come over in it's full glory > end edit
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Well its a start...
    However it wont change the fact that as long as people are clueless about security then nothing will stop hacking!
    I still belive that a beter way to go about this problem is to require a Licence to go online. This would teach people the basics of computing and security.
    -HDD

When was the last time you even heard about

Ever heard of Gigabyte?
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    HDD:

Please, lets not start talking about licenses to go online. We all know that any license for anything nowadays simply turns into a revenue stream for government and in many cases the requirements one needs to fulfil for licensure are woefully inadequate..... The American drivers license springs to mind........

Proper punishment and properly trained law enforcement coupled with an understanding of the problem itself by the government is what is required. Then, maybe, we could make some headway. As it is we have a group of people with no clue as to the technology, that have constituents moaning about a "problem", with no idea how to get accurate, impartial advice trying to create "solutions" for problems they will never grasp.

The key is to create an unimpeachable source of accurate, impartial advice..... Good luck trying that one..... money talks and all it would do is shift lobbying from DC to cyberspace.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by D0pp139an93r
    When was the last time you even heard about
    Ever heard of Gigabyte?
    she was a fan of people getting those licenses too !!

"Actually," she says, "I think stupid people should have to have some sort of license to get on the Internet."
    http://www.techtv.com/news/security/...382211,00.html
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ah... But she pointed out that "stupid people" should be "licensed".

The unfortunate thing is that people are stupid..... It's not a reflection on their intellect..... 100 years ago people managed their own lives.... They grew their food or hunted for it, cooked it, made their own shelter.. etc... etc... etc.... But today things are a little more complex.... You have laws, taxes to file etc....etc...etc. More than a single individual can grasp. Before anyone jumps on me I'll point out that you buy your groceries.... You don't grow them all yourself!

Now some things are important to people, some things are less important and some things are of no import whatsoever..... But they live in a consumer's world.... Plug it in and start working on it..... that's their computer. They also don't understand the reasons why their fridge works... It just does.... They might be the brightest lawyer or marketer in the world... the computer is analagous to their fridge.... Plug it in and let it go....

Stupidity today isn't, necessarily, stupidity..... It's the inability, or unwillingness, to know everything about your environment...... I challenge anyone to prove a complete understanding of their environment......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides