Thread: Programming in Linux

Programming in Linux

Hello everyone.

This is my first time posting so HELLO WORLD (good lord, the corny jokes start). I've done a bit of programming, well, that seems a bit misleading. When I say a bit of programming I mean I've made the Hello World program and a few other menu based programs (like, press 1 to enter how many lbs of potatoes you bought, press 2, blah blah blah and it spits out the total price). I took a programming class in school and we took Java. This class proved to be fairly pointless as I never learned a thing. Now i'm on linux (Fedora Core 1) and I wanna start doing some serious coding (basic at first, obviously, but then progress) The only problem is that I just don't know where to start. I'm not sure what compiler I need, hell i'm still new to installing packages, lol. So basically I'm just asking for a few reassuring words that could possibly point me in the right direction as to how to get a compiler set up so that I can start coding. It's not so much learning to program that's stumping me, but setting up the compiler and such. Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this and I hope I'm not too newbish

Thanks again
    NoUse

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Thread moved from Other Tutorials to General Chit Chat (Tutorials is for original tutorials to be posted by members).

You might want to open a terminal window and type gcc to see if that is installed. It is the defacto, AFAIK, programming compiler for Linux. Usually C and C++ are done. If you do a search through some of the posts (use the Search function) you'll find lots of references to good places to start to learn programming.

It might help if we knew what language you wanted to start in.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Heh, I'm sorry. I didn't include much in my wrongly placed post...what shame i feel Thank you for being kind though. I won't be making the same mistake twice I would like to eventually learn some Perl but I'd also like to learn C++ as well. Java didn't interest me much whenever I was doing it, but then again I was making programs to add a set of numbers or divide them. I have KDeveloper on the ol' desktop here, but it just doesn't seem like it's good for someone trying to learn the ins and outs of the language and how compilers work and such. I'll look into gcc as well as the forums. I just asked about the compilers because most of the tutorials assumed you knew how to use the compiler and I'm not even sure which to use Thank you for your help and kind welcome to the boards.

Thanks again,
    NoUse