I'm a Network Admin for a Bank....today I had to laugh after talking to a customer having trouble accessing our internet banking site...

He was entering his userid and password and was prompted to microsoft.com to upgrade to a newer service pack for security reasons....he called the bank very upset...

I asked him typical troubleshooting questions ....here's how the conversation went...

Are you using a PC or MAC? PC
What version of Windows are you running? I'm running ME because it is the last SECURE OS that Microsoft ever made...
Me Pausing trying not to laugh...
What Browser are you using, Netscape or IE? I refuse to use IE for anything, its so full of security holes I can't believe people even use it...
Again, I pause...
What version are you running? 4.68 because future versions are not secure...this was the last secure version Netscape ran...

What do you tell someone like this. He had obviously been fed a bunch of lies by someone that claims to know about security...the guy went on to say that ME was more secure than any other operating system because it had the fewest number of patches....

Well yeah, that's because Microsoft does studies showing which OS's are used most and put more folks on the job to secure those OS's before older obsolete versions...

To my knowledge - my views of ME are that it sucks...because it was out for a whole 6 months prior to WIN 2k PRO and they never went back and fixed half of the major problems with the OS. As for security - FAT32 more secure than NTFS? Well - like I said - what do you say to someone like that....

Of course, maybe I'm in the wrong, I'm only an MCSE, MCSA...