Thread: Slow Up2date

Banned

Slow Up2date

I'm new to linux(running fedora 1) and when i run up2date the download speeds are equal to 56k(6kb/s). Im on a cable line(Road Runner)wtf? At first i was at about 25kbs but now im down to 6kbs. Before i ran redhat 9 and i was getting around 150kbs. Is there a cap now or am i the only one having the problem. I searched the forums and found nothing about this... well i skimed.

Nope, I can confirm this.

My updates on RH9 and on Fedora Core 1 (yum) are extremely slow.

I guess thats what we get for not buying their support?

I'll deal with the slow updates... I don't need to pay for more stuff than necessary.

I have multiple firewalls and other security measures in place anyway...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I don't know about up2date, but if you edit the yum.conf file you will be able to add mirrors that should have less traffic and be nearer to you. I've managed to increase my download speeds significantly by doing this - although I use Slackware exclusively now so I don't keep up with all the latest Fedora stuff.

up2date is always slow for me, I don't know if you can configure mirrors for it and the main server is busy 24/7 by the looks of it. Anyway, if you want long term Linux (i.e. you don't want to re-install the whole thing each time a new release comes out) and like Red Hat, then just stick with Fedora.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Banned
    Thanks i edited that file with a mirror and im up to normal speed.
    You too phishphreek for confirming that im not hallucinating.

You can also edit: /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.txt.
    If you are going to edit it change the link for: yum updates-released and #yum updates-testing. Those are the only ones you have to change not: yum fedora-core-1.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by mikem0327
    Thanks i edited that file with a mirror and im up to normal speed.
    You too phishphreek for confirming that im not hallucinating.

You can also edit: /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.txt.
    If you are going to edit it change the link for: yum updates-released and #yum updates-testing. Those are the only ones you have to change not: yum fedora-core-1.
    I disagree - I would change the fedora-core-1 to a mirror as well....

Also are you sure about the filename - It's sources (not sources.txt) for me.

I'm uk based so these mirrors may be useful for neaby folks...
    This is also of use:
    HTH
    Steve

edit/

Bugger - can't get this to display properly without the .... in the aobe urls (hover over them for the exact url) even though I've removed the 'automatically parse URLs'....

I'll post a bug.

Steve

The mirror.ac.uk servers are also very useful for UK-based Linux users. They mirror the majority of Linux distributions and I've never got less than the maximum download speed (based on my ADSL connection) from them.

steve.milner is also correct in that you should change all the mirrors, not just the released and testing ones, otherwise you'll still be using the main Red Hat servers and therefore that will slow the whole process down.

Banned
    I disagree - I would change the fedora-core-1 to a mirror as well....

Also are you sure about the filename - It's sources (not sources.txt) for me.
    I disagree about you disagreeing i believe(im not an expert)that url checks for the latest updates. And the two mirrors that i have used are not up2date with their packages???(strange) and the ones i needed could not be found on those mirrors but could be downloaded from the default url.

Also the filename IS wrong (thinking in windows) it is /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources. Sorry

That's probably because some mirrors update faster than others, and there will always be some form of delay between a package being released on the main server and its propogation to the mirror sites. It could take anything from 24 hours to a week, depending on when and how often the mirror updates (the worst case is when the mirror checks for updates just before new packages are applied, so it missed them until the next check).

I would still recommend using local mirrors for all the Fedora packages - it speeds up everyones' downloads if you aren't pulling from the main server.