View Poll Results: Is Negative a forum nazi?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 55.56%
  • No

4 44.44%

Thread: file sharing 'n' piracy

file sharing 'n' piracy

Hey everyone. I was just wanting to know a few things about it.
    We're starting our annual "mock congress" project in government class and I was wondering
    1) If anyone can tell me where I can get a graph or some RELIABLE info on the rates of file sharing versus the rates of normal internet users.

and

2) How many of you would be willing to let me interview you via email or IM and use you as a source?

Thanks a bunch

~Kyle (Phaktor5)

I'd recommend looking at the stats for users online on Kazaa, also check out:
    http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/riaa-v-thepeople.php
    If you'd like to interview me regarding your project feel free to PM me, I'd call myself a light p2p user, i've downloaded a lot in the past, but more often than not i'll only download a few songs or movies every few weeks now
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

If you search the forums there have been many heated P2P file trading discussions, both moral and legal issues from the horses mouth.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I guess I'll be available for an interview. Just PM me.

I am a heavy p2p user. I'm always available to help out with school projects. Keep on learnin so you don't end up like me. My job sucks. It sucks more than any job that has ever sucked before. /end rant
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Interesting question.

1. Yes I have "pirated" virus code and amended it to work for my employers.
    2. I have never used "warez" as that is blatant theft, and I don't trust it anyway.
    3. I have certainly used stuff after its trial period..........I have a life to lead and my own priorities?
    4. I have never violated EULAs in a work environment...........part of the job is getting trial extensions and negotiating concurrent user licences?
    5. In a private environment I will load software onto more than one machine on the grounds that I only use it on one machine at a time and am too lazy to keep uninstalling and re-installing, and I have paid for what I am using.
    6. I have "borrowed" software for testing mainly because downloading a trial version on a link that gives you a real speed of around 3.5-5.0 kbps is not practical? That at least gets the product in the list to be considered for purchase?
    7. I have "moved" locations in the UK to Canada to obtain discounts on software
    8. I have certainly "pirated" functionality and design concepts, but I question if they are intellectual property anyway ( and have YOU ever tried to get a COTS supplier to tailor their software for you?)
    9. I have never shared music files, or even downloaded them.

I guess that I am a criminal then?

Count me in if you like

Cheers

I assumed you were an English "Gentleman" Nihil. Gasp!
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.