Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mount ntfs????

mount ntfs????

Ok heres the deal, have a dual boot system running Win200 Pro & Psyche Kernel 2.4.20-20.9 on an i686

hda1 39205 MB ntfs
    hdb
    hdb1 102 MB ext3
    hdb2 56949 MB ext3
    hdb3 188 Linux-swap

The problem that I am having is this;

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/win -t ntfs -r -o umask=02222

now I can access hda, can read hda, can copy from it, but I cant write to it ?
    any idea why????
    not essential but would like to understand why (But thats what were here for is it not)
    -:s33ka:-
    Be pure, Be Clean,
    Behave....

Well I am NOT the best person to answer this, I suppose, as my *nix is rather out of date .

As I understand it various versions of *nix either won't write to an NTFS partition, or you shouldn't try it because of the danger of data corruption and/or screwing your partition.

I have never heard of your linux brand, but would suggest that it is "smart" enough to detect the NTFS partition and is blocked against attempting to write to it because of the issues I just mentioned? I think that the inhibitor may well be in your linux distro?

You can, of corse set up a FAT32 partition which linux should be able to use without problem, as will WIN 2000. So that might be the way to go for shared files?

As I warned you, that is a bit out of date, but may still be the case?

Cheers

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Linux NTFS Project should answer your question.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    You beat me to it MsMittens; good job.

I also couldnt mount my ntfs partitions and did a lot of searching and found the website MsMittens mentioned.
    Solved all my problems.

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html#4.10 Tells you how to mount the partitions automatically at startup.

EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT

Thats just the kind of info that I needed, thxs

nihil

Psyche = Redhat 8.0
    But is it nemore I have made so many changes to the base that it might not be 8.0
    -:s33ka:-
    Be pure, Be Clean,
    Behave....

Re: mount ntfs????

Originally posted here by s33ka
    Ok heres the deal, have a dual boot system running Win200 Pro & Psyche Kernel 2.4.20-20.9 on an i686

hda1 39205 MB ntfs
    hdb
    hdb1 102 MB ext3
    hdb2 56949 MB ext3
    hdb3 188 Linux-swap

The problem that I am having is this;

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/win -t ntfs -r -o umask=02222

now I can access hda, can read hda, can copy from it, but I cant write to it ?
    any idea why????
    not essential but would like to understand why (But thats what were here for is it not)
    The options may be different in your flavor of unix, but in solaris '-r' means mount read-only...

-r Mount the file system read-only.

Just a thought...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

-r Mount the file system read-only.
    Perhaps but the problem with Linux is that it doesn't fully support write (basically do it at your own risk and potentially pooch your system). Solaris may fully support NTFS but I wouldn't risk it on anything but a full play box.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Perhaps but the problem with Linux is that it doesn't fully support write (basically do it at your own risk and potentially pooch your system). Solaris may fully support NTFS but I wouldn't risk it on anything but a full play box.
    Actually, I don't think Solaris supports NTFS, at least not natively.

mount_cachefs(1M), mount_hsfs(1M), mount_nfs(1M), mount_pcfs(1M), mount_tmpfs(1M), mount_ufs(1M),

Are what I see in there right now, but that wasn't really the point. I was merely trying to state the obvious of he/she mounted the partition in read-only mode, so of course they couldn't write. Whether or not that was a good idea or supported, I left for someone else to talk about
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

I just updated my kernel to 2.6.4 on my slack box, and NTFS write support was not marked experimental in menuconfig. It was my understanding that it was, and this thread backs this up. I did not compile it in and would not need to as all my partitions are either FAT32 or ext3, so has anyone actually tried the NTFS write support in 2.6.x? If it's not supposed to work fully yet, shouldn't they put "(EXPERIMENTAL)" next to it like they do in all other experimental features?

You'd figure that knowing the risks before compiling it in and using it would be pretty important!

TheRepublican, this thread at LinuxQuestions.org might answer your question better. It's reiterates what is on the Linux NTFS Project's website:

This NTFS driver was written by Anton Altaparmakov from scratch, supporting all versions of NTFS. It is included in the current development kernels since 2.5.11 and also has a backported version for the latest 2.4 stable kernel. What are the advantages of the new driver compared to the old one?

* Stable: no known problems in the implemented functionality, it's also multi-processor and reentrant safe.
    * Supports all NTFS cluster sizes from 512 bytes up to 64 kB. The old driver is limited to maximum 4 kB cluster size.
    * Full support for sparse and compressed files also on Windows XP/2003/2000.
    * Supports mmap() thus Wine users can start applications from an NTFS partition.
    * Still read-only, but with safe file overwrite support on all Windows versions without changes to the file size and if the file is over 1 kB.
    * One can setup a loopback device on an NTFS file. TopologiLinux and others use this feature to run Linux from a Windows NTFS partition with full read-write support.
    * Much better performance.